Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Roads

+4
andyb
ellie
MevsyD
greencat
8 posters

Go down

Favourite Roads Empty Favourite Roads

Post  greencat Wed Jun 02 2010, 23:47

I've been asked this week by a colleague at work who's going on a week long trip around Scotland to recommend some roads for him to consider when planning his route. I know there are othesr better qualified on this site to do this so I thought I'd post up.

But why restrict it to Scotland, so..... if you have a favourite road please post up the details here in the format set out below. If this develops in due course I might build it into a Google Maps page so you can see what'sear you.

I know you won't let me down Very Happy

Location, Road Number (Name), Start Point, End Point, More info or reason(s) for inclusion

I'll start with some of my favourites:

thundercat North Lincs, A161, Crowle, Goole, Twisty flat route with mainly open views over hedge-less fields great for practising your cornering

thundercat Lincs, B1225 (Caistor High Street), Caistor, Horncastle, High route down the spine of the Lincolnshire Wolds over rolling hills just gets better and better as you go south

thundercat Scottish Borders, A7, North Middleton, Galashiels, Wide sweeping bends follow the river Gala Water. Good in both directions but I prefer the route south
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Favourite Roads Empty Re: Favourite Roads

Post  MevsyD Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:27

Hell yeah I'll have a go at this! One of my favourite trips and a great piece of tarmac! And it goes north too so feasible for your pal..

Get to York and take the A166 up to Fridaythorpe, stop for cup of tea as required as there is a biker friendly cafe called Seaways...Go on the B1251 up to the crossroads and take a left on the B1248 to Malton. Good road, often Police though plenty of bikers going faster than me so no worries... Through Malton and follow signs for Pickering on the A169 (fast road, keep your eyes on your speed) and through Malton all the way to Whitby over the moors and the incredible views of the Hole of Horcum... Great ride...
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 03 2010, 04:46

I second the Caistor High Street and Crowle, but also love the A44 Aberystwyth to Newtown road, and pretty much most of Wales TBH!

The Cromford to A38 via Wirksworth, Derbys, is cool.......

The 'Via Gellia' (B5012) Grangemill - Cromford, Derbys. (Although its now 50mph)

Macclesfield to the Cat & Fiddle Pub, Derbys,.......

B1202, Market Rasen to Wragby,Lincs, is great fun......

So many roads...so few days off green smile
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Thu Jun 03 2010, 06:02

I'll also go for the B1225, I was on that road last in fact, fantastic Very Happy

Slightly nearer to is the B1188, from Lincoln down to ruskington, lovely sweeping bends all the way down and a really nice pub in the middle to clink

The A153 in lincs is also good for long straight roads with the odd bend great
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Jun 03 2010, 14:17

Very slim pickings around these parts, but i have a couple:

B4494 from Newbury to Wantage - fairly short but a nice mix of twisties followed by open roads with great visibility coming over the Lambourn Downs. The B4001 from Wantage to Lambourn and the B4000 from Lambourn to Ashbury are worth a mention, and the three roads can easily be linked up.

I like to take in the A44 "Fish Hill" at Broadway if ever I am going that way, and the A424 Burford to Stow-on-the-Wold is a good way of getting there.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03 2010, 15:44

weasley wrote:
I like to take in the A44 "Fish Hill" at Broadway if ever I am going that way, and the A424 Burford to Stow-on-the-Wold is a good way of getting there.

I love Fish Hill too, and I used to be lucky enough to go up/down both those bits on a weekly basis.

there's a nice run through from Wroughton past Avebury and down to Devizes too, short but sweet Smile

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  howlingdog Thu Jun 03 2010, 16:16

R2D2 wrote:
weasley wrote:

I love Fish Hill too, and I used to be lucky enough to go up/down both those bits on a weekly basis.

Chris

I love the fish but then its literaly 6 miles away ( word of warning, now the bike season is here the plod are trapping it often)

A44 then A424 to stow A424 burford A40 north leach A429 cirencester A417 Lechlade a361burford, chipping norton banbury A422 stratford upon avon B439 bidford on avon B4085thro south littleton B 4032 to broadway then off up the fish and along the A44

it a series of very different roads...some very tight and narrow some open and free flowing but each holding it own challenge through some very nice counrtyside
howlingdog
howlingdog
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 93
Hobbies : keeping people in gods waiting room...
Humour : warped
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 03 2010, 16:31

Great, this is taking off very nicely.

May I suggest that a new Topic heading be created or go under the Biking Trips / Recommendations - have a separate area for each region in the country so it will easy to locate a route / fav road in future.

South West

Gloustershire/Gwent : A466 Chepstow - Monmouth: scenic route with a lot of twisties, some 30 mph zones and NSL. Can get busy at weekends (especially if the sun comes out)

South East

Sussex: A26 Newhaven - A27 intersection near Lewes, fast sweeping bends. However can get busy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Jun 03 2010, 20:00

howlingdog wrote:...a361burford, chipping norton banbury...

20 years ago I would have agreed with this, but the rash of 50 limits and other controls has pretty much ruined this road. It's OK from Burford to Chippy but gets tedious after that. :(
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03 2010, 20:54

Sorry to be a bit pedantic Steve but Gloucester/Monmouth is not the South West. Devon/Cornwall and maybe a little further east i.e. Somerset/Dorset is the South West.

One road I would recommend is the A39 from Minehead down to Bude. Stunning scenery, twisty roads, some really steep inclines/declines. Just gets a bit busy in the summer months.

However, my all time favourite road is the Road of a 1000 bends. From San Feliu to Tossa de Mar in Spain, north of Barcelona. About 5 miles as the crow flies, but the road is actually about 17 miles long. It is just awesome. It's the GI 682. Take a look here Road of a 1000 Bends

Now thats a road.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 03 2010, 22:49

topcatbones wrote:Sorry to be a bit pedantic Steve but Gloucester/Monmouth is not the South West.
Soz Tony; someone's paying attention Embarassed Originally thought it was in Wales, umm. This might explain why I take the longest route to ride-outs Smile
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Jun 03 2010, 23:21

topcatbones wrote:
However, my all time favourite road is the Road of a 1000 bends. From San Feliu to Tossa de Mar in Spain, north of Barcelona. About 5 miles as the crow flies, but the road is actually about 17 miles long. It is just awesome. It's the GI 682. Take a look here Road of a 1000 Bends

Now thats a road.

I agree Tony but it is better on a Thundercat
Ah the memories
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jun 04 2010, 00:27

My local favourite is takes me from Shotts to Forth and then it starts getting good all the way to Selkirk.

Heading south on the A706 and then first LEFT to Braehead (good now since it has been resurfaced)
Continue picking up signs for Carnwath and then Peebles and then Selkirk.

After seeing the Motorbike 'hazard' signs on the A72 (after Castlecraig) be careful of a couple of consecutive off-camber bends.

Later on there are some long stretches of straight where I've seen speed vans parked off in the distance so be warned........The twisties really are superb though!

There is a 90 degree corner just before Neidpath castle (worth a quick visit.....nice views)

Most of this was done on last years Wee Mac.

Great in either direction.

Map is here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enjoy
Rosco

Last edited by Rosco on Fri Jun 04 2010, 00:36; edited 1 time in total
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Fri Jun 04 2010, 00:35

Very very good! Great piece of riding, hope you didn't have Ewan on the back bricking it!
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jun 04 2010, 00:55

MevsyD wrote:hope you didn't have Ewan on the back bricking it!

Nope....that would have been the road of a thousand screams.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04 2010, 21:19

Rosco, I did see the clip on Youtube that you posted but everytime I tried to watch it, it would stop about a minute of so in.

Hence the reason for posting the other clip.

Good fun road though and brings back some great memories.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Fri Jun 04 2010, 23:14

I did the route I posted earlier today, went and had fish and chips at (or should I say outside) Magpies.. Me and my mate John (ZX6R 636) had a great time on the route from Pickering to Whitby... If you get the chance to try the road do it, it ticks all the boxes..
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  howlingdog Sat Jun 05 2010, 08:45

weasley wrote:
howlingdog wrote:...a361burford, chipping norton banbury...

20 years ago I would have agreed with this, but the rash of 50 limits and other controls has pretty much ruined this road. It's OK from Burford to Chippy but gets tedious after that. :(

warwickshire has gone mad on the 50's and spoilt many a good road by this..... other than call the all sorts if knob and write copious letters and make more calls to tell them that many of these limit restrictions are stupid, what more can we do?
I am revising my routes to try to avoid their handiwork
howlingdog
howlingdog
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 93
Hobbies : keeping people in gods waiting room...
Humour : warped
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Back to top Go down