Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naughty Kitty

3 posters

Go down

Naughty Kitty Empty Naughty Kitty

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 25 2010, 17:37

The bike’s been in the workshop for the last 3 days. Not sure if it likes it there or has become rather attached to the downpipes, they needed to be removed with an angle grinder [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . The new ones didn’t go on quite as easily has hoped either. The mechanic probably knows me a little too well; when I called he said you know this can is quite noisy, but can thwack something which should quieten it down – umm. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (Sorry guys and gals, I don't like noisy 'zorsts - well not on my bike)

Seems the alarm also put up a good fight, but thank goodness lost; I am now looking forward to a life without it.
The new CZ chain and sprockets made me realise just how worn the old set was.

I have continued my tradition of wearing out brake pads faster than tyres. This seems to be the Achilles heel on my bike, maybe it isn’t the bike but rather the lump that sits on top [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Non the less the brake fluid has been replaced and the calipers have been checked for sticking/seizures. The pads were the single biggest expense after the eight hours labour – I’d bought the exhaust and chainset elsewhere. The ransom came in at just under 500 smacks, but it’s not the kinda work I would have been able to do myself on the pavement.

Were now ready for some riding, where’s the decent weather? Not a good start, were going to be going home in the rain Mad
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Naughty Kitty Empty Re: Naughty Kitty

Post  yamahamad Thu Feb 25 2010, 18:29

Glad everything is sorted & ready for another riding season steve. Have you gone with standard size sprockets or a tooth different front or rear?
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Feb 25 2010, 19:51

Gone standard size Paul.

For my money Yamaha nearly got it right - could have done with a shaft drive though. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm from an era of pre o-ring chains - ghastly things. Converted nearly 30 years ago to shaft and this is the first chain bike since. Pitty all shaft drive bikes these days come with slippers, smoking jacket and a pipe, please can someone shoot me if I get that old [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not quite Top Gears' Captain Slow but also no Valantino (or James ...), 'fraid gearing change or go fast 'zorst isn't going to make me any quicker.

Took the less direct route home from the grease and spanner. Figured it was going to take longer to get into my leathers and wetgear than the ride home (only a mile). Was rush hour traffic and p!ss-inn-it down, had my 'mist in 3 seconds' helmet - so not really a good chance to get a feel of the Zorst.
Had a good opportunity to hear it on pull off as every light was red [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Low down not much different from before - maybe I just got used to the 'blown' pipes. Slighty higher revs and there's a nice throaty warble, as long as it doesn't get obscene, I'm gonna like it - <yay, groovy grandad> pitty about the naff sicker on the can - easily taken off, if it don't fall off first [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sat Feb 27 2010, 12:03

Have you managed a longer ride yet steve how is the exhaust noise level?
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Feb 27 2010, 12:15

No longer ride yet, have just moved the bike 50 meters Very Happy umm, no helmet on, it is quite noisy. Think I'll be waking folk up :o

Tomorrows' ride to Wootten Bassett may have to be called off, so not sure when a 'decent' ride will take place.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Feb 27 2010, 13:47

Hi Steve

Good to hear you're all sorted for the new season.
I've got my carbs to balance, brakes to inspect and clean and I could probably be doing with grinding down the scrapes on my can.

Hope the ride is successful in every way and goes without incident for everyone involved.

I'd join you if I didn't have hundreds of miles and 5 inches of snow to get through.

Can't wait to hear this new can.

Cheers
Ross
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Feb 27 2010, 21:35

Managed to get out this afternoon, the usual 50 mile route.
Luckily I checked the bike over, the Scottoiler had been turned the wrong way around and it would have gone all over the tyre.

The noise isn't that bad when riding, only seems very loud on startup and slow speeds. The Autocom compensates and turns up the music volume when getting up the rev's and also every time I change down
Twisted Evil Will get used to it I guess.

The more noticeable change though is the extra power I seem to have - wow almost like a turbo has been added. Even though the road conditions aren't good (lot of crud and water all over), I 'let kitty stretch it's legs'
Had a huge smile when I got home, and a headache which I think is more due to last night than the noisy pipe Embarassed.

Tomorrows reccie has been called off, might just have to figure it out on the day which is two weeks away now
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 00:33

SteveCat wrote:Managed to get out this afternoon, the usual 50 mile route.
Luckily I checked the bike over, the Scottoiler had been turned the wrong way around and it would have gone all over the tyre.

Bloody 'ell that was well spotted - could have been interesting Embarassed
Anonymous

Back to top Go down