Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hibernation

+2
yamahamad
JAM
6 posters

Go down

Hibernation Empty Hibernation

Post  JAM Tue Feb 09 2010, 20:15

Any other Winter avoiders out there????

If you're like me and can't take the cold, when are you thinking of taking your loved one out of hibernation?

I usually wait until around mid-March before I dust off the cobwebs and give her a once over.
JAM
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Hibernation Empty Re: Hibernation

Post  yamahamad Tue Feb 09 2010, 20:21

Mine has been in semi hibernation all winter. I uncover it every weekend & even got a short ride a couple of weeks ago. This coming weekend i will start getting her ready by stripping & cleaning the brakes. Refacing the pads & changing the brake fluid. When the weather picks up to ride regular i will change the oil & filter then all is good. I have been doing cleaning & greasing jobs all winter. Oh & she needs new plugs this year as they have been in 4 years.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Tue Feb 09 2010, 20:46

dry & bright & im out never mind the cold pmsl
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Feb 09 2010, 20:50

I rode mine home from the Taste Of Lincolnshire and it hasn't been out since! Embarassed This is mostly down to not having time, but I rarely ride in the winter. I never actually lay it up, just in case there is an opportunity to ride, but in reality this rarely happens. I expect mine will see daylight again around mid-March too - it needs a new tyre so that'll be first on the list, followed by a huff-n-polish and it's ready for another year's riding! Of course I'll give it a once over to make sure bits aren't stuck or loose (as appropriate) but one thing that always impressed me with my Cat was that it could be dragged out, push the button and off it went.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Tue Feb 09 2010, 23:18

weasley wrote:I rode mine home from the Taste Of Lincolnshire and it hasn't been out since! Embarassed This is mostly down to not having time, but I rarely ride in the winter. I never actually lay it up, just in case there is an opportunity to ride, but in reality this rarely happens. I expect mine will see daylight again around mid-March too - it needs a new tyre so that'll be first on the list, followed by a huff-n-polish and it's ready for another year's riding! Of course I'll give it a once over to make sure bits aren't stuck or loose (as appropriate) but one thing that always impressed me with my Cat was that it could be dragged out, push the button and off it went.

Pretty much the same here. I keep it road legal all winter on the off chance. But have not actually ridden it since late October!

I started it a couple of days ago...no probs
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09 2010, 23:38

I've done about 500miles or so in the last week , but have stopped riding it the last couple of nights as it got really cold again , back in my comfy warm car Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Feb 10 2010, 09:14

I've done far less mileage this winter than the previous two.
Maybe I am turning into a Southern Softie, but have found this year to be the hardest to cope with.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10 2010, 09:17

SteveCat wrote:I've done far less mileage this winter than the previous two.
Maybe I am turning into a Southern Softie, but have found this year to be the hardest to cope with.

Not surprising Steve , it's been the coldest winter in 30years so far , and there is more snow coming in from the Atlantic apparently ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Wed Feb 10 2010, 11:57

Sure this winter has been longer & harder than i remember since been a kid. It is not that you are getting softer steve. Smile
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Feb 10 2010, 13:00

Oh, I forgot to mention the road salt - an hour's cleaning after a hour's ride seems like too much effort, especially when it's cold. Give me splattered bugs over winter crud any day.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down