Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This years tyre choice question lol

+6
bobh
Radar
robertcains
weasley
Dogsbody
dudeofrude
10 posters

Go down

This years tyre choice question lol Empty This years tyre choice question lol

Post  dudeofrude Mon Mar 21 2016, 09:06

Sorry for the common question but I'm buying some new shoes for the cat, on bikespeedUK they have some good offers on sets.

Choices are Bridgestone battlax BT-021 £139, Pirelli Diablo Strada £119 or Dunlop qualifier D209 £129. Any advice on the best to go for?
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down

This years tyre choice question lol Empty Re: This years tyre choice question lol

Post  Dogsbody Mon Mar 21 2016, 11:35

Personally I wouldn't touch the BT-021. Had them on my Thundercat when I bought it. Inspired no confidence at all. Got Michelin Pilot Road 4's on now, which feel better but still not sure about.
Dogsbody
Dogsbody
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 111
Hobbies : Guitar/Bikes
Humour : Swiss Toni
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

This years tyre choice question lol Empty Re: This years tyre choice question lol

Post  weasley Mon Mar 21 2016, 12:05

I ran a pair of the Diablo Stradas and liked them, but they haven't been manufactured for a number of years now, so even 'new' tyres will be several years old (that probably goes for all of the ones mentioned actually). I am on PR3s now and like these too.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Mon Mar 21 2016, 12:53

Would that be an issue? The fact that they aren't produced anymore? I mean I'm coming from a mismatched square set at the minute so anything will be an improvement haha
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Mar 21 2016, 20:12

BT021 is an horrendous tyre, avoid like the plague.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Mar 21 2016, 21:01

I hated the BT21 too, do not buy those

Currently running Michelin PR3, they seem fine. I ran Maxxis Supersports for a few years too. Very grippy, but I struggled to get 3k out of a rear.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Mon Mar 21 2016, 21:06

Well that's the bt021 off the list. 1 down 2 to go haha
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Mon Mar 21 2016, 22:03

I had the original Dunlop Qualifiers on my old RSV1000R - the rear only lasted about 3K. I've had similar disappointing mileage out of Diablos. I think those are both single-compound, which would explain why they went square.

BT-021s came as standard on my Fazer8, and lasted much longer, but, Yorkshireman that I am, I still chucked the front away before it was worn out because the handling had become so diabolical. I put Conti Motions on, and they transformed the bike. The rear did about 5K before it got its second puncture and with only about 1K left on it it wasn't worth repairing. The front's still on with plenty of life left at 6K. A pair of those in Thundercat sizes will set you back £124.70 post-free from http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Mon Mar 21 2016, 22:12

Thanks bobh I'll take a look. I have a contemptuous on the back at the minute and it will have lasted 3 years come May. I was only looking at the above mentioned tyres because they were on offer but with the continentals at that price I can't go wrong Smile
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Mon Mar 21 2016, 22:21

I had a mix of BT-021 on the rear and a Diablo on the front when I bought the bike years ago.

The Diablo only lasted a few K and ended up looking like a pencil tip in profile (worn sides, raised middle) and the BT-021 was the complete opposite. The middle squared off while there was plenty of meat left on the sides.
..probably the worst possible mix. Very Happy

The weird thing is that I believe the BT-021's are meant to have a hard compound in the middle with softer shoulders (in order to last longer I assume), but the damn thing spun up under acceleration in the damp, and dragged it's arse so much under braking, that it had probably the completely opposite effect on it's longevity....I could be wrong, but I think they're better suited to big heavy tourers. :/
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Tue Mar 22 2016, 00:04

This what I had to say about a BT21, this pre-dates me joining here, so sorry for the link to another forum

http://bikemeet.net/index.php?topic=5007
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Mar 22 2016, 00:17

You can see the squaring off effect starting to appear on that one.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Wed Apr 06 2016, 13:48

Well the new tyres are ordered. I went with the continental conti motions again purely because that's what I had on the back already so I know they're OK for me.
Managed to get a set for £124.75 delivered from blackcircles, which I thought was a good price. They should be here next week. I've rang around some local garages and they want £50 to fit them. Does that sound about right?
My mate charged me £5 to do the rear on my old 125cc haha

Anyway just for giggles I thought I post a pic of what I'me currently wobbling about on..... it's amazing I can turn at all really haha

This years tyre choice question lol 20160410

This years tyre choice question lol 20160411

That's the conti motion which isn't too bad, then there's the bt014..... pale

This years tyre choice question lol 20160413
This years tyre choice question lol 20160412

I tried some 'spirited' cornering the other day and it was reminiscent of the slalom on my Mod 1, only lent over haha
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Mon Apr 11 2016, 16:04

Well that's my new tyres on. Can't believe the difference in the handling! Bike almost want to fall over in the corners haha
Speaking of which, how long to I need to 'take it easy' for?
And what constitutes talking it easy? Are we talking first time on a motorbike easy or just no kneedown corning for first few miles?
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Apr 11 2016, 16:42

I've been told 100 miles and then again 50 miles, it all depends. You are roughing up the surface so for the cornering I suppose you'd do it incrementally - not all over at once, so probably knee down out the drive will end in being thrown off Shocked

First time I changed tyres on the 'cat I had to get used to  how easy it wanted to turn. When I bought the bike they were already squared off and all previous bikes had the old square tyres, so the new shoes for me, was quite something to get used to - think I may have been a bit too cautious though.
I dreaded the next tyre change as I recollections of the first time, not a problem - just didn't try and lay too much power down for an hour or so and pretty much forgot about it after that. When you cornering feel what's happening, once the rubber is scrubbed it'll take more hammering.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Apr 11 2016, 16:47

Talking from experience (of totally forgetting I had brand new rubber on loose wheels that I'd fitted the day before) you do need to take it easy for a while.

Back wheel just slid away under "normal" acceleration coming out the drive :(

Just be quite gentle with braking and acceleration and gradually increase your lean angles to wear away those chicken strips.

If you ride totally up right for 30 miles then I'd say they've still not been broken in but if you gradually increase lean angles I'd be confident in them after about 10-20 miles.

Enjoy the new rubber.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Mon Apr 11 2016, 16:48

Thanks's guys,
It's a big shock how light it is while cornering and how little effort it now requires to drop in.
It's a good thing I suppose lol
And I don't generally get my knee down off the drive, I'm a wimp like that haha
but I do have a good ride planned for next Sunday so hopefully by then they should be on their way to being worn in and if not then they certainly will be by the time I get back :-)
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Tue Apr 12 2016, 12:15

I was told that Continental don't use release agents so your tyres should be good to go immediately, however, as Rosco says above I would just ride a bit steady for the first few miles until I can see that I've been all the way over on both sides.

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Apr 12 2016, 20:07

I've read that as well (also for other manufacturers), but they do have quite a shiny surface that need a bit of scrubbing in.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down