Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOT BIG NOT CLEVER

3 posters

Go down

shock NOT BIG NOT CLEVER

Post  dave fozza Sun Aug 17 2014, 16:48

while travelling to work along the motorway, as i slowed to come off the slip road i felt a vibration on the bike. i then pulled over at a garage, i inspected the bike and found to my amazement that i had lost the one side of the chain link after a closer inspection i found the chain had a split link and a part had fallen out leaving me and the bike mm from disaster. How the chain didnt come apart i will never know, i have since changed the link to a rivet link so it is now one piece. My question is should bikes over 600cc be running chains with spit links or was i unlucky when having this fitted at  garage ...fozza...
dave fozza
dave fozza
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 11
Hobbies : moto gp fan and ride outs
Humour : if its funny that will do for me
Registration date : 2014-07-27

Back to top Go down

shock Re: NOT BIG NOT CLEVER

Post  Wooster Sun Aug 17 2014, 17:27

Interesting question.

I'd use a split link on my pedal bike, but wouldn't be entirely comfortable with having one on my Thundercat.

(I fixed all my pedal bikes myself when I was a kid...you know, before they started throwing the whole bike in the bin and buying a new one  Very Happy , and the clips on the split links did get a bit rattly after a while. (And that was with far less mileage or load)

Damn close call you had there I reckon.  Shocked
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  dave fozza Sun Aug 17 2014, 19:46

it was 5 am road empty i wasn't hanging about ,my own fault after having chain and sprocket fitted didn't think i'd have to check there work after.safe to say never using this garage again.
dave fozza
dave fozza
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 11
Hobbies : moto gp fan and ride outs
Humour : if its funny that will do for me
Registration date : 2014-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sun Aug 17 2014, 22:02

In days gone by the link was the only way to fit a chain, these days it's only OK on smaller powered bikes. It's academic now but the clip should have been fitted rounded end towards the direction of travel.
Very lucky there!
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum