Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New shock, but still in awe!

+3
JDM
yamahamad
johnelcoat
7 posters

Go down

New shock, but still in awe! Empty New shock, but still in awe!

Post  johnelcoat Fri Jul 04 2014, 18:59

Evening all,

It's been a long time since I posted on here, due to one thing and another, but I've been popping back for updates. For those of you that don't know, I bought Snowcat's old bike. Anyway thought I'd just let you know what I'd done to the cat lately. I ride my cat everyday to work and back, yes it is possible to do that in Aberdeenshire, and I've got a few miles under my belt since passing my test last May. Just lately I've noticed that things weren't right, so I started looking for things, and as the old saying goes if you go looking for something you'll probably find it!

So, the shock was knackered, totally knackered. I thought I'd try adjusting it and when I turned the bottom adjuster it didn't click, just turned, and then there was no rebound at all. I had a look around, as you do, and found the Hagon shock. At £290, I thought it was reasonable, so I bought one. This was all without thinking of the fitting or any of that mallarky. I mean how hard can it be? Actually it was pretty easy, considering I don't even have a shed to work in and I live in rural Aberdeenshire.

Now the shock has been fitted, I've purchased some braided hoses, stuck some Pilot Road 3's on and a new chain and sprocket too. Few £, but I use it everyday, so I guess it owes me nothing and It's still a great bike. I have loved having the cat for my first year of riding and long may it continue.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[/url][url=https://servimg.com/view/17917096/45][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 40
Hobbies : Mechanical Engineer
Humour : Slightly twisted with a hint of sarcasm
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

New shock, but still in awe! Empty Re: New shock, but still in awe!

Post  yamahamad Fri Jul 04 2014, 19:12

Nice work mate. Lovely looking shock, probably replace mine with a hagon when the time arises but mine is still going strong.
I do need to replace chain & sprockets though, think it's starting to show signs of the death stretch. Need it to last until after surf & turf. 

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Fri Jul 04 2014, 21:51

Debated getting new shock when finally free up some cash for rebuilding my cat, but found these guys, know lot of hassle has been had with cat shocks before but phoned and explained to this chap and he assured me he paid lot of money for necessary equipment to rebuild, and refurb them!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jul 06 2014, 20:11

Have seen those lot on eBay and was considering it, as I can't adjust the lower adjuster on mine.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  johnelcoat Mon Jul 07 2014, 09:53

Well, so far, so good. I think I'll have to adjust the preload slightly, due to my larger bones, then it should be grand. I've also been experimenting with the front suspension too, which was very interesting, as I've never messed with it before and having not ridden for very long I had no idea if the ride was good or bad. So I set the front preload at 3 lines out and the rebound at 1/4 turn out from full in, which was a little too harsh for me, so I went or 1/2 turn out and the bike was transformed.

The old shock that was on had been reconditioned, so I didn't want to risk it again, as it only lasted around 2 years and from what I can gather not many miles either. If you're looking at refurbs that cost up to £200 with all the spangly bits, or a new one for £280-300, then to me it's a no brainer. And on the upside, if this one was to break, I wouldn't have the messing around with removing the remote cylinder!

Yesterday I put some braided hoses on using the reverse bleed method and it worked a treat. The only thing I would suggest if you are thinking of using this method, is to make sure you have enough paper towel or whatever it is you want to use, because you'll need it. The job itself was a little fiddly, especially undoing the old hose clips at the front and I also had to remove the exhaust to get the calliper off to enable me to remove the old union.

Hopefully that should keep her right for a good few miles now and anything else will just be cosmetic.
johnelcoat
johnelcoat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 40
Hobbies : Mechanical Engineer
Humour : Slightly twisted with a hint of sarcasm
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jul 07 2014, 17:54

Ahhhh my baby, glad she's giving you no trouble, it's virtually 2 years to the day (give it take) that I had the shock refurbed by Kais Suspension and at the time he said it was a one time deal, didn't give any indication how long it would last and I suppose 2 years isn't bad for a 14 year old (supposedly) unserviceable item. They are Ohlins Distributors and the only option would have been replacing with something worth more than the bike.

I'm glad she's still going strong, to be honest I expected nothing less, thanks for the update John.

Cheers

Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Jul 07 2014, 19:34

Speaking of updates  question-excamation Wink
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Jul 07 2014, 19:49

Ah - so you bought that bag of spanners.....

Could have been worse. You could have bought mine.

Seriously though, I really like the rear Hagon shock I've got on mine.
I've had it since 2006 and I 'think' I got it serviced after about 6 years.

Still going strong with a fair bit of two up action, trips to Europe and the odd track day.

I went for the Hagon progressive front springs and she handles brilliantly IMHO.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jul 07 2014, 20:53

0ldcat wrote:Speaking of updates  question-excamation Wink

At this point in time nothing new to report Tel, Mrs Snowcat insists I finish some decorating before I build my new workshop without which I have no room to work, should be starting to strip early August, I told you I got her running though didn't i?
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Mon Jul 07 2014, 20:59

Snowcat wrote: I told you I got her running though didn't i?
In deed you did mate  green smile  Even did a youtube of it you did IIRC  Cool 

Pesky decorating huh ? Well s'pose the good boy brownie points do need topping up  Wink 

Cheers buddy
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jul 07 2014, 21:07

Will be updating regularly once we begin, (even though not even remotely Thundercat, in-line 4 or even Yamaha).

I'm sure there are many who will appreciate a good resto thread, we haven't had one in a while.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down