Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Had a crash, need advice please guys - pics up

+13
Snowcat
0ldcat
eccles291
robertcains
Wooster
Roll The Bones
greencat
supernaut
mikeyzf600
Marine Boy
alleycat
weasley
ttboy1988
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Had a crash, need advice please guys  - pics up Empty Had a crash, need advice please guys - pics up

Post  ttboy1988 Sun Jun 02 2013, 18:46

I was patiently waiting to go at the roundabout, the lad behind me though it was ok to drive into the back of me. So he has accepted his as its his fault,
pretty gutted, it was such a nice day and i said to my self just take it easy on the bike lol,

It was such a nice bike, the paintwork was mint and it brought a smile to my face everytime :(

Is there anything i need to be aware of when pursuing this claim, this is the first time someone crashed into me,

any advice would be much appreciated

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by ttboy1988 on Tue Jun 04 2013, 16:14; edited 2 times in total
ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Hobbies : IT graduate
Humour : mehh
Registration date : 2013-03-12

Back to top Go down

Had a crash, need advice please guys  - pics up Empty Re: Had a crash, need advice please guys - pics up

Post  weasley Sun Jun 02 2013, 19:00

Best way would be to inform your insurers about the incident but not make a claim on them. Deal directly with the other person's insurance. They can't write your bike off and they have to put your bike back how it started.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Had a crash, need advice please guys  - pics up Empty Re: Had a crash, need advice please guys - pics up

Post  alleycat Sun Jun 02 2013, 19:23

what level of insurance do you have? ive always had TPFT so all I did when ive been hit in the past is ring my insurance company and give them the details of the car that hit me and they have sorted it all out (obviously because it cant be processed as my fault as TPFT doesn't cover you for your own vehicle) ... although if you are fully comp I don't know whether they process the claim as yours and then when liability is confirmed as the other sides they then recoup their losses and then its not counted as a claim on your policy.

Although if hes accepted liability either way you shouldn't have any problems ...did you get all the relevant details for the lad who hit you?
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Marine Boy Sun Jun 02 2013, 20:16

A shunt from the rear shouldn't be an issue but if you have no independent witnesses on your side start making some notes now. Insurance companies are under more pressure than ever to reduce payouts. "Notes made at the time" will be an important evidential document should the insurance company start to mess about. Start a log on a sheet of A4 or in a notebook beginning with the first time you picked up a pen after the prang and jot down location, conditions, lighting, times and importantly words said (19.10pm Driver X stated "Sorry mate, I wasn't looking") etc etc. As time goes by you will be able to refer to these notes "made at the time" and produce them to whoever needs to see them. This is why cops have pocket books. Both are "notes made at the time".
Marine Boy
Marine Boy
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Sun Jun 02 2013, 22:05

Just seen that you are in Woking (as am I) if you want me to come over and give you a hand with anything just drop me a pm
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jun 02 2013, 22:17

First off, sorry to hear of the accident. It's a pain in the ass. I was "removed" from my Bike over a year ago, and the claim is still on going.

Firstly, I would inform your insurers, just to play it safe. It's all well and good that he admitted fault, but he may have a change of heart and try and give you a hard time. If he decides to try and claim against you, at least your insurers will know about it.

2nd, do you have any Legal Insurance with your policy? For my claim, its all gone through my solicitors, appointed to me through my insurance company as part of my legal insurance. Its been very handy, and it leaves your insurance company out of it too. You may as well take the benefit from it, you've paid for it after all! Were you injured at all?

If he has admitted fault then it should be fairly straight forward, and I hope for your sake that it is. Like I said, mine has been going for over a year, and it's bloody annoying and stressful!

And although the accident wasn't your fault, I'd also recommend considering an IAM course? I did it at the start of the year, and for the price, it's great value for money. It will teach you how to try and avoid idiots running into the back of you for one thing. And it lowers your insurance, always a bonus! It's not for everyone, and some people don't hold the IAM in high regard, but it's the best bit of money I've spent on the bike.

Regards,

Mike

mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  supernaut Mon Jun 03 2013, 12:18

keep it simple, give your insurance company all the details and let them deal with it, that's what you pay them for.
get to the hospital because your neck, back and shoulders are killing you!
Steve.............
supernaut
supernaut
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Mon Jun 03 2013, 15:14

alleycat wrote:what level of insurance do you have? ive always had TPFT so all I did when ive been hit in the past is ring my insurance company and give them the details of the car that hit me and they have sorted it all out (obviously because it cant be processed as my fault as TPFT doesn't cover you for your own vehicle) ... although if you are fully comp I don't know whether they process the claim as yours and then when liability is confirmed as the other sides they then recoup their losses and then its not counted as a claim on your policy.

Although if hes accepted liability either way you shouldn't have any problems ...did you get all the relevant details for the lad who hit you?

I got Third party fire and theft, yh got all the details off the lad and he knew it was his fault. hopefully it will go through smoothly

Marine Boy wrote:A shunt from the rear shouldn't be an issue but if you have no independent witnesses on your side start making some notes now. Insurance companies are under more pressure than ever to reduce payouts. "Notes made at the time" will be an important evidential document should the insurance company start to mess about. Start a log on a sheet of A4 or in a notebook beginning with the first time you picked up a pen after the prang and jot down location, conditions, lighting, times and importantly words said (19.10pm Driver X stated "Sorry mate, I wasn't looking") etc etc. As time goes by you will be able to refer to these notes "made at the time" and produce them to whoever needs to see them. This is why cops have pocket books. Both are "notes made at the time".

Yh i took some pictures and he took some pictures as well, i made a note of everything and still

alleycat wrote:Just seen that you are in Woking (as am I) if you want me to come over and give you a hand with anything just drop me a pm

I think i should be allright mate but thanks for offering, the only thing i would ask is, any garages that you can reccomend to get my bike fixed, (not woking yamaha) as i was the paint job to be pristine

mikeyzf600 wrote:First off, sorry to hear of the accident. It's a pain in the ass. I was "removed" from my Bike over a year ago, and the claim is still on going.

Firstly, I would inform your insurers, just to play it safe. It's all well and good that he admitted fault, but he may have a change of heart and try and give you a hard time. If he decides to try and claim against you, at least your insurers will know about it.

2nd, do you have any Legal Insurance with your policy? For my claim, its all gone through my solicitors, appointed to me through my insurance company as part of my legal insurance. Its been very handy, and it leaves your insurance company out of it too. You may as well take the benefit from it, you've paid for it after all! Were you injured at all?

If he has admitted fault then it should be fairly straight forward, and I hope for your sake that it is. Like I said, mine has been going for over a year, and it's bloody annoying and stressful!

And although the accident wasn't your fault, I'd also recommend considering an IAM course? I did it at the start of the year, and for the price, it's great value for money. It will teach you how to try and avoid idiots running into the back of you for one thing. And it lowers your insurance, always a bonus! It's not for everyone, and some people don't hold the IAM in high regard, but it's the best bit of money I've spent on the bike.

Regards,

Mike

Informed the insurance, they are dealing with it now

I had legal cover on my policy so i am speaking to some solicitors now, regarding some pain in my legs
I am not sure what an IAM course is, will definitely look into that

ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Mon Jun 03 2013, 15:44

Here you go.

Link to the IAM site.

I recommend it, but I have done both car and bike tests, so I'm biased.

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Mon Jun 03 2013, 16:08

Need some advice guys,

The other insurance company has contacted me to shortcut a deal (Admiral). They want to know if want to go through them

They will include the hire bike and everything as normal but instead of going through my current company they will go through the other persons company.

Whats your thoughts on this ? stick to my insurance company or go through the other persons insurance company. I am really concerned about the legal stuff behind it. If i go through my insurance company they will do all the leg work and sort it out. I have never went through the other persons insurance company so i not sure what the process or what the disadvantages are

ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Roll The Bones Mon Jun 03 2013, 16:16

When I had my Mondeo written-off 4 years ago I just let my company (Tesco) deal with everything and no problems.

Kept my no claims as it wasn't my fault and they agreed to a little bit extra for the car then first offered.

So personally I would stick with your company.

Buy this month's Classic Motorcycle Mechanics to show them what it should look like.
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Mon Jun 03 2013, 16:37

Roll The Bones wrote:When I had my Mondeo written-off 4 years ago I just let my company (Tesco) deal with everything and no problems.

Kept my no claims as it wasn't my fault and they agreed to a little bit extra for the car then first offered.

So personally I would stick with your company.

Buy this month's Classic Motorcycle Mechanics to show them what it should look like.

You are right, i think i will stick with my insurance company, simply for less hassle and i want the bike to be back in prestine condition
ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Mon Jun 03 2013, 17:57

greencat wrote:Here you go.

Link to the IAM site.

I went on an IAM run from Anniesland in Glasgow a while (years) back and it put me right off, they sucked the fun right out of it due to an almost religious adherence to sticking below the speed limits and checking mirrors every three lamposts. Neutral
I (safely, without excessive speed) hopped past a lot of slow (40~50mph) moving traffic along Loch Lomond and ended up having to wait in a lay-by for ten minutes for the two IAM blokes to eventually catch up.
I accept they may have been showing an example though and they didn't know me, or I them, but it felt very, very dull. Neutral

I was a member of RoSPA (East Kilbride) for a while as well and their rideouts were a fair bit better, although a bit rare.

I can see the point though, one bloke fell off his bike pulling out of the carpark on the IAM run. green smile

Personally, I'd probably advocate getting some 1on1 advanced rider training if you can afford it.
It's like Skiing...group lessons are OK to get you through the basics on the bunny slopes, but the 1on1 sessions allows the trainer to identify personal weaknesses and get you through them pretty quickly.

...on the other hand, if you're a gambler and would like to know where your limitations lie, you could try to keep up with Rosco on some of the mad roads he picks in the Borders. Laughing
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Mon Jun 03 2013, 18:11

I'd stick with your insurance. If you are using your solicitors, they will probably want to know about any contact from 3rd party as well.

Wooster wrote:
greencat wrote:Here you go.

Link to the IAM site.

I went on an IAM run from Anniesland in Glasgow a while (years) back and it put me right off, they sucked the fun right out of it due to an almost religious adherence to sticking below the speed limits and checking mirrors every three lamposts. Neutral
I (safely, without excessive speed) hopped past a lot of slow (40~50mph) moving traffic along Loch Lomond and ended up having to wait in a lay-by for ten minutes for the two IAM blokes to eventually catch up.
I accept they may have been showing an example though and they didn't know me, or I them, but it felt very, very dull. Neutral

I was a member of RoSPA (East Kilbride) for a while as well and their rideouts were a fair bit better, although a bit rare.

I can see the point though, one bloke fell off his bike pulling out of the carpark on the IAM run. green smile

Personally, I'd probably advocate getting some 1on1 advanced rider training if you can afford it.
It's like Skiing...group lessons are OK to get you through the basics on the bunny slopes, but the 1on1 sessions allows the trainer to identify personal weaknesses and get you through them pretty quickly.

...on the other hand, if you're a gambler and would like to know where your limitations lie, you could try to keep up with Rosco on some of the mad roads he picks in the Borders. Laughing

Not sure if it's changed since then, but Skills for Life is 1 on 1 training. And I have to say speed limits weren't kept to religiously on ride outs. Maybe on observations perhaps.

The way I see it is that there's a few different types of riders. Ones that want to have fun to the point that they will eventually kill themselves. Or riders that want to have fun but survive to have some fun another day too. It combines safety with fun. It helped me loads, corner speed is higher since completing my IAM course. I was probably the usual person who thinks "I can take corners fast." However, after my first observation, my observer asked my why I was going so slow around the corners.

I think for the price of just over £100, it's well worth doing for any level of rider.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Jun 03 2013, 19:37

Personally I'd deal direct with their insurance, it could get drawn out otherwise, as a panel beater I have lots of experience of this sort of thing & once they admit liability you have very little to worry about tbh,
I did the same last year when Ellie's Daytona got knocked over at BC, the only thing I insisted on was keeping the bike in my garage as I knew it was going to be written off & wanted to keep the salvage.
The assessor came to my home to inspect it & we came to an amicable agreement without any problem.
If I can help just ask.
Nick
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Mon Jun 03 2013, 19:51

robertcains wrote:Personally I'd deal direct with their insurance, it could get drawn out otherwise, as a panel beater I have lots of experience of this sort of thing & once they admit liability you have very little to worry about tbh,
I did the same last year when Ellie's Daytona got knocked over at BC, the only thing I insisted on was keeping the bike in my garage as I knew it was going to be written off & wanted to keep the salvage.
The assessor came to my home to inspect it & we came to an amicable agreement without any problem.
If I can help just ask.
Nick

Can you elaborate on that for me, so i just deal with the other persons insurance company.

Sorry i am little bit confused, so do i just keep the bike at my house and what do i tell the other insurance company exactly ? (" that i think its gonna be a salvage and i dont want to take it to a garage or something )

do i not have to pay for the salvage or something ? they wont let me keep it for free right lol Smile
ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Jun 03 2013, 22:04

It's only an issue if its going to cost more to repair than the value of the bike, if it does its a total loss (write off) you then have two choices, 1 take the money & buy another bike, 2 accept a fee slightly less than the bike is worth & keep the salvage (I.e repair it yourself using second hand parts etc)
The first step is to get a quote & see if they think it is economical to repair, if it is simply allow the insurance to take it to a repairer you are happy with & give the loan bike a damn good thrashing until your pride & joy is ready for collection green smile
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  eccles291 Mon Jun 03 2013, 23:41

If your insurance appointed solicitors start being a bit crap (or even if they don't) then it's worth getting in touch with RSS (Rider Support Services). Bike accident solicitors.

I've used them a couple of times in the past and on both occasions they were absolutely excellent (my claims were non-fault as I was taken out by a car both times). RSS were always really helpful on the phone whenever I called so I'd say give 'em a call, explain your circumstances and see what they say. Almost all of them are bikers too, which counts for a lot in my book. left thumb up

FWIW, my second off was a bloke turning out from a side road right onfront of me in the pissing rain and I had no chance of stopping. At the scene he was all apologetic saying he wanted to make amends and get it all sorted as quickly as possible. After the event, however, he tried to blame it all on me saying I was going too fast for the conditions etc etc. censored In the end though he shot himself in the foot because in his official statement he said he "looked left and right and did not see the motorcyclist approaching", which proved that a) he didn't look properly, and b) couldn't possibly tell if I was travelling too fast or not seeing as he stated he hadn't seen me! loony

Hope you get it sorted soon.
eccles291
eccles291
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 15
Hobbies : Job? Saying "Yes, dear" at home. Hobbies? Bikes, of course!
Registration date : 2013-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Jun 04 2013, 14:06

mikeyzf600 wrote:

Not sure if it's changed since then, but Skills for Life is 1 on 1 training. And I have to say speed limits weren't kept to religiously on ride outs. Maybe on observations perhaps.

The way I see it is that there's a few different types of riders. Ones that want to have fun to the point that they will eventually kill themselves. Or riders that want to have fun but survive to have some fun another day too. It combines safety with fun. It helped me loads, corner speed is higher since completing my IAM course. I was probably the usual person who thinks "I can take corners fast." However, after my first observation, my observer asked my why I was going so slow around the corners.

I think for the price of just over £100, it's well worth doing for any level of rider.

Regards

Mike

Every group is probably fairly different as well, so you might not gel with a group in one area but get on like a house on fire with another.

It's certainly worth going and checking those groups out though.
At the very least you'll get a bit of company. Very Happy
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Tue Jun 04 2013, 15:11

robertcains wrote:It's only an issue if its going to cost more to repair than the value of the bike, if it does its a total loss (write off) you then have two choices, 1 take the money & buy another bike, 2 accept a fee slightly less than the bike is worth & keep the salvage (I.e repair it yourself using second hand parts etc)
The first step is to get a quote & see if they think it is economical to repair, if it is simply allow the insurance to take it to a repairer you are happy with & give the loan bike a damn good thrashing until your pride & joy is ready for collection green smile

Thanks mate, I have a feeling that it wont cost more than the bike and i am pretty sure it wont be salvaged, however the repair company that i want to use is asking for £50 for a to give an estimate which i will be able to fax to my insurance company. They advised me that providing that i do the work at their place the charge will be deducted off the final price.

Is there any way i can get my £50 back for the estimate which i pay upfront.
ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Tue Jun 04 2013, 15:13

eccles291 wrote:If your insurance appointed solicitors start being a bit crap (or even if they don't) then it's worth getting in touch with RSS (Rider Support Services). Bike accident solicitors.

I've used them a couple of times in the past and on both occasions they were absolutely excellent (my claims were non-fault as I was taken out by a car both times). RSS were always really helpful on the phone whenever I called so I'd say give 'em a call, explain your circumstances and see what they say. Almost all of them are bikers too, which counts for a lot in my book. left thumb up

FWIW, my second off was a bloke turning out from a side road right onfront of me in the pissing rain and I had no chance of stopping. At the scene he was all apologetic saying he wanted to make amends and get it all sorted as quickly as possible. After the event, however, he tried to blame it all on me saying I was going too fast for the conditions etc etc. censored In the end though he shot himself in the foot because in his official statement he said he "looked left and right and did not see the motorcyclist approaching", which proved that a) he didn't look properly, and b) couldn't possibly tell if I was travelling too fast or not seeing as he stated he hadn't seen me! loony

Hope you get it sorted soon.

There is no way this guy can deny anything, on a clear sunny day at 12 midday in dry conditions. if he didnt see me he has to be blind lol, i will looking in the RSS if things dont go according to plan.
ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Jun 04 2013, 15:26

jayster must be in tears Crying or Very sad reading this thread . . . .
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Tue Jun 04 2013, 15:39

Oh no! Two and two now put together fuming

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jun 04 2013, 15:40

0ldcat wrote:jayster must be in tears Crying or Very sad reading this thread . . . .
It wasn't was it? Shocked
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ttboy1988 Tue Jun 04 2013, 16:00

Snowcat wrote:
0ldcat wrote:jayster must be in tears Crying or Very sad reading this thread . . . .
It wasn't was it? Shocked

it was :(
ttboy1988
ttboy1988
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down