Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels

+16
YZFJohn
greencat
terry lees
Rosco
ellie
Robcat
Snowcat
bingowatts
thunderstu600
Dirt Bike Dave
Cheshirecat
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Rampers
SteveCat
0ldcat
Eddie990
20 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Adrenaline-addled Youngster or Sensible Older Gentleman

Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Vote_lcap163%Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 12 ]
Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Vote_lcap116%Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Vote_lcap121%Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 19

Poll closed

Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Empty Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels

Post  Eddie990 Tue Feb 12 2013, 18:48

First topic message reminder :

Right, been having a debate/discussion with Terry over the last few weeks regarding the selection of my next bike. So just for fun I thought I'd ask the nation as it were. Like doing a street poll but lazier.

I'm looking at something which has a reputation for being a bit mental, the KTM 990 Superduke.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

'If all of life were like a KTM Super Duke it would be a short, barely glimpsed blur of action-packed vignettes. There is surely nothing more frenetic on two-wheels than the KTM 990 Super Duke short of sticking a nitrous kit, a jet turbine and a flame-thrower into the frame of a fold-up bicycle.'

I kind of like the sound of that, sounds hedonistic. green smile

Terry reckons I should look at something with longer legs, like a FJR1300 confused or a Triumph Sprint ponder or something of that ilk. You know, the sort of bike to effortlessly devour continents whilst carrying fresh pants, a large bottle of gin and a bag of limes in the panniers. (Separate panniers obviously)

'The Yamaha FJR1300 is the first from-the-ground-up touring bike the Japanese firm has built. With shaft drive, comprehensive fairing, bespoke hard luggage, massive tank capacity etc, this motorcycle ticks plenty of boxes. The Yamaha FJR1300 has loads of power and the four cylinder engine makes 99 ft/lbs of torque at 7K revs too. That means grunt and plenty of it, more than enough to help two people, plus loads of kit, overtake safely on A roads.'

This also sounds good, especially the space for gin. naughty

Because I have not won the lottery (yet, it's coming), I can only choose one grumpy

So, help me decide. What do you reckon? Is it time I swapped a**e-ache for buttock-cosseting comfort? Can shaft driven tourers wheelie? Do you have any better options and if it were your money, what would you spend it on? (Must be motorcycle related,Rosco and DBD, that means no dodgy wigs, whisky or crazy ex-lap dancers)

Just to be fair, as it's currently in 2nd place.

Disclaimer: I know this is a Thundercat site and that is the obvious answer, who knows? I loved my cat and might be tempted by another but this is just for a wee bit of fun. Hell, I can't buy ANY bike until I move into my damn house, I haven't even got a garage to put one in.......I'm virtually homeless for Christ's sake!

Last edited by Eddie990 on Tue Feb 12 2013, 20:26; edited 2 times in total

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Empty Re: Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels

Post  Eddie990 Mon Feb 18 2013, 13:57

KTM has been sold, unfortunately not to me Crying or Very sad

Mrs Ed says she is coming on some of the rideouts this year so I'm looking into a Triumph Sprint GT.

Eddie990

Back to top Go down

Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels - Page 3 Empty Re: Searching for Eddie990's New Wheels

Post  Robcat Mon Feb 18 2013, 14:08

They have an issue of 'tram lining', according to owners reports. Triumph increased the wheel base for extra stability but then that caused the bikes to follow the road contours a bit to much for owners liking.

That's just a thread I read not so long ago. Don't know if changing tyres helped.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 18 2013, 14:10

Mate had a triumph sprint for years, loved it for touring but is it not a little "vanilla" for you Chris, (incidentally my mates other bike was a 916)
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Mon Feb 18 2013, 14:18

Yeah, weak rear shock too. Been searching the owners forum for info and you're right enough about the tyres, apparently a different set makes a world of difference.

However, coming from a bike with a 21" knobbly on the front, I'm not sure I'll even notice!

It's a decent price and already has heated grips, panniers, topbox, touring screen etc.
I'll go for a look and see what I think.....watch this space.

Might be a bit tame compared with the Adventure but I might be able to sneak a wee KTM in the future. If everything goes to plan the new house has a biiiiig garage which, of course, needs filling up.......nature abhors a vaccuum as they say Laughing

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:24

Any luck Chris with the bike viewing?

I found my next bike, just took my eye it did and Linz likes the back seat. (keeping the R1 still of course). Kinda fancied them before but the price was always unrealistic.
Saved myself 3k from the new price 2 years ago (last years model mind you).

Cool
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:28

What did you get Rob?

I've not really found anything yet, still not sorted house.
Might go to look at another Sprint GT on Friday.

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:39

Something less extreme, pick it up on the 16th of March on a 13 plate.

It will be the bike I'll be doing the long runs on and keeping the R1 for local and track days on (body is getting old with 12 years of sports bikes). Yes, I'll be going to Europe on it.

Visited 4 bike places and came across a &%$#@ ?.

It's not a triumph. I'll be on it at zee Wee Mac.

Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:40

Ah, mystery bike! Can't wait.....

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:41

Sounds like something from the Bavarian Motor Werk to me??
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:47

Me, get German, neah brother.
Shocked
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 21:59

This bike too has a tendency to have a week back shocker for 2 up riding. (stiffer spring may well be fitted later in the year)
It's not fully faired.
It's all black, baby.
It's 80% based on its big brother.
Got it for 6k.

Time will tell........
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 22:01

Robcat wrote:Me, get German, neah brother.
Shocked

Ahh you threw me with the "Zee wee mac" comment, I'll get my coat!!

Or is it a Fazer?
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 22:18

Don't do fazer 600's no more. They ditched them as the xj6, divvy, fazer 600,fz6 and the mt06 was pinching sales from each other.

To many bikes in one segment to say the least. But no, I've non of them.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Wed Feb 27 2013, 22:20

Kawasaki Versys 650?

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 22:43

Linz is/has the only kwak between us 2.

Not enough umph the versys. Furball told me that. I did say to you once Chris that I do like a curtain bike. I could throw it around corners better than the R1. Anyway, its not that bike but the engine is the same size (minus about 20cc).

Oh, time for bed now. Hate it when alarms go off at 5:20 in the morning.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Wed Feb 27 2013, 22:49

Honda Crossrunner?

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Feb 27 2013, 23:44

I give up, thought I was on to something
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Thu Feb 28 2013, 22:32

Fazer8? confused
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Fri Mar 01 2013, 05:58

You got it!

How to decipher clues, ask Bob in future we should.
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Fri Mar 01 2013, 07:30

I had a PM off Linz asking about my ventura for a fazer8 and had put two and two together but you threw me off saying it wasn't a Fazer
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Fri Mar 01 2013, 08:38

I said it wasn't a fazer 600, so you was very close.

It was either the yam or a new tiger 800.

Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:40

Robcat wrote:You got it!

How to decipher clues, ask Bob in future we should.

It helps if you've got one!

I've had mine just a year now. Got it to replace the Fazer 6 (though that's STILL stuck in the garage waiting for the buyer to make up his mind) because I wanted something that wouldn't be quite such hard work when trying to keep up with other "progressive" riders. And it was on 0% over 3 years, so only another 2 years to go... whistle

I've only done about 3,000 miles on it in that time, including a 500-mile round trip to Mablethorpe Shocked (don't ask) in the cold last week. No aches or pains after that, so it's proved its worth as a distance machine.

The good bits - it's basically a FZ1 with budget suspension, a sleeved-down motor and 2-3 grand off the asking price. It seems to be averaging 50-55 mpg, which ain't too bad. ABS as standard - though I can't say I've ever noticed it working. Because they aren't too common/popular, any bits that do come up on eBay can be bargains.

Not-so-good bits - one or two examples of form-over-function - like the plastic trim round the fuel tank, that a) reduces its capacity and b) makes it difficult, if not impossible, to fit a magnetic tank bag. As a result the effective range between fill-ups is about 150 miles rather than the 180-200 of the Fazer 6 - not a big problem in the UK, but not ideal for continental touring. Centre stand is an optional extra. Matt black OEM can is hideous, particularly noticeable because the rest of the bike is quite pretty (especially in white with gold bling - mmm, nice fnarfnar ). I've picked up a Scorpion can, though I won't fit it until after it's had the 1st year service. At the same time I also got a MRA Vario screen, which makes a noticeable difference on the M-way. And, yes, the back end is a bit soft - nice and comfy on really bumpy roads, but the bike can start to tie itself in knots a bit in the twisties if it hits a bump in the wrong place (e.g. Charlbury TT, for those that know it). And I can imagine it would be very saggy two-up. I've bought a low-mileage standard FZ1 shock on eBay, so we'll see if that makes a difference (it SHOULD fit straight in, seeing as the basic chassis are identical).

End of sales spiel - enjoy! Thumb
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Fri Mar 01 2013, 11:55

Robcat wrote:Something less extreme, pick it up on the 16th of March on a 13 plate.

It will be the bike I'll be doing the long runs on and keeping the R1 for local and track days on (body is getting old with 12 years of sports bikes). Yes, I'll be going to Europe on it.

Visited 4 bike places and came across a &%$#@ ?.

It's not a triumph. I'll be on it at zee Wee Mac.

Bugger!! I was hoping not to be the only one to get moaned at by oor Tes for pish tank range and hence regular fuel stops on our Alps trip. If your not taking the R1 then I guess I'm Het!!

Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Fri Mar 01 2013, 12:39

I get 140 out of the tank, 2 up on the R1 Dave so it was always going to be you who made us fill up. Have scraped 160 solo but not riding in anger. I'd be thanking you in the back of the head for stopping mind you. Then again, I'll get the same out of the new tank as its only 17 ltr in capacity.

Cheers for the low down bob. Think a little bracket is still needed to fit the FZ1 shocker though as the swing arm is a fraction different (thinner back wheel).

Going to raise the rear end by 25mm so the seat height is almost like the R1. Read that sticking 2 more notches on the preload helps the handling, as like you say, its a comfy ride. Will most likely get a double bubble screen to go with it.

Shiny black this one is. Not fussed on the white or blue coloured versions.

Just don't know yet, either Ventura system or Yamaha rack and box for the luggage option.

Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Mar 01 2013, 15:28

'Fraid I always spoil the looks of a bike by slapping a dirty great big Givi topbox on it. Not cool, but so, so useful.

At least for the FZ8 the Givi arms are quite neat, following the lines of the seat. But they were a ****er to fit, with a lot of wangling to get the grab handles back on. Part of the problem is that the plastic tailpiece is all one unit, not the multi-piece set-up you get on earlier Yams.

I see that Givi also do a converter plate for the Yamaha one - maybe it would have been easier to go that route, though I missed that at the time.

Thanks for the heads up about the FZ1 shock - if it's too much hassle it goes back on the 'Bay and I'll just make do with winding up the back and dropping the yokes down the forks a bit.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Tue Mar 05 2013, 23:02

Right, house purchase is nearing completion! We should be in by the end of the month so the bike hunt gathers pace Very Happy

Booked the day off work tomorrow to head back home and sign important papers but that isn't happening now. So..........

A day off work, and nothing to do but go bike shopping ponder

Happy days!

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next