Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

+16
littlecat
Wooster
Panzerbuilder
Robcat
mechy69
robertcains
mrfrance
Rosco
BlueZed
kwakkat
yamahamad
billyw
ellie
Eddie990
0ldcat
topcatbones
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... - Page 2 Empty 16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

Post  topcatbones Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:08

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

Yep, it's happened. 16 years (plus 5 more years when I was 16) without an accident and then I go and have one.

Last tuesday evening I was riding home from work, came round a bend to find a landrover stopped in the road waiting to let a car our of a side road, admittedly it was a bit further up the road from the junction but I should still have been able to stop. Unfortunately, there was a car coming from the opposite direction which complicated matters further.

I have no recollection of the accident, my last memory is of seeing the Landrover and thinking I'm going to have to go around it. According the the driver of the landrover and the car coming in the opposite direction, once I realised that I wasn't going to get around the landrover without hitting the car I bailed off the bike, this turned out to be a good move and the bike hit the car and then the landrover. I, apparently, slid down the road.

The next thing I remember is looking up at a face and asking what am I doing here and who are you?

The ambulance crew were great, got me settled and off too hospital (Musgrove in Taunton) where I was told I had a broken collarbone and several (3) broken ribs. Very painful. I was admitted into hospital and stayed there until last night when I managed to convince the hospital staff that I was fit enough to be let home. On reflection, it might have been a day or so early but it is great to be home.

The hospital staff have been amazing, just couldn't do enough for me. Of course, me being such a good looking chap helped (joke). My partner Trischa has been great as well and I don't know what I would have done without her.

So now begins the long process of rehab. The bike, I'm pretty certain, is a write off. The good news however, is that after years of only insuring the bike 3rd Party, this year I went Fully Comp as it was only £17 per year more expensive. Lucky or what. I'll be getting another bike, what I'll get though I don' t know yet.

Trischa had ridden on the bike for the first time last Saturday and thought it was ok and wanted to go out some more. Now though, she is completely off the idea, and I can't say I blame her.

Anyway, I'm still here. I have to be honest and say that the accident was my fault and I've been very lucky. It just goes to show, just because you have been riding for many years without an accident, you cannot take your eye off the ball.

Enjoy your riding, but be safe.

Tony

topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Number of posts : 25
Humour : Just About
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... - Page 2 Empty Re: 16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

Post  Robcat Thu Jun 14 2012, 15:29

Well I'm glad that your still going to be a straight kinda guy. Without any fixes I mean.....

Chin up and enjoy some tlc from your beloved.

Rob

Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... - Page 2 Empty Re: 16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

Post  robertcains Thu Jun 14 2012, 18:46

Good news Tony, keep us informed of your progress [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Fri Jun 15 2012, 09:17

thats great news tony take it easy & get well soon
fred & pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Jun 16 2012, 12:36

Sorry to hear about this, a warning to us all. Get well soon OC and good luck on the bike hunt. I know somebody who might be selling an 03 Blade
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Fri Jun 29 2012, 14:53

The bones are mending nicely. I'm off the painkillers now and not suffering too much. Got a lot more movement and able to do so much more. Back to hospital on 10 july for checkup and hopefully the ok to drive.

Heard from insurance company yesterday, my beloved Blade, that I have owned for 11 years now and done 39,000 miles on, is a total write off and will be sent to be crushed. They are now doing their research to give me a value for the bike, which I will be turning down, no doubt.

I should hear from them today. I'll keep you posted.

Tony
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Fri Jun 29 2012, 16:21

Good luck Tony , hope it all turns out in your favour. More important is that you get back to full fitness mate.

Cheers
Billy
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jun 29 2012, 22:25

Good luck with everything Tony.
Keep us posted with the developments.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:59

Well, hopefully the final update.

I have now been signed off by both the Physio and the Consultant. Both were very impressed with my mobility and strength which is ahead of what it is expected to be after 6 weeks. So it is back to work tomorrow.

Insurance have declared the bike a write off (Cat A) and is going to be crushed. We have agreed on a valuation eventually. I did manage to get slightly more than I was expecting. So now I am looking out for another bike. Not sure what I am going to get yet though. I am going to look for a winter project as well as my main bike. I'll let you know what I get.

I am starting to get stronger and fitter. It will still be another 3-6 weeks for the collarbone to stitch back together but I can't wait to get another bike and get back on the road. All this lovely weather, I'm really missing being on the road.

Tony
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:28

Lovely weather???
Glad to hear you are still mending well and fingers crossed for Bike # ???

Hope to see you again soon Tony.
Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jul 15 2012, 23:43

good weather tony i think you better see a shrink you most have had a bang on the head wall
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Mon Jul 16 2012, 03:04

Yeah, are you still living this side of the equator? Summer was the day of the BC ride out.

But glad ya not to frail now. Just look towards getting a bike for the start of the next season of riding to be honest. You'll be all aches and pains for the next couple of months on a bike in any case. A more upright seating position than a sports bike would do ya. A FJR1300 will do ya or are you still a Honda nut? Shocked

Rob
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Mon Jul 16 2012, 20:48

Hmm. My tongue in cheek comment about the weather appears to have been taken a bit seriously. Come on guys, wise up a bit. Lol. I may have been bed-bound for a while but I did have a window I could look out of.

Really not decided on what bike to buy. Because I'm not likely to be fit for a while I will take my time. Plus, Trischa and I should be moving house soon (all being well) so I will probably wait until after the move.

Unless, of course, something comes along that I just can't resist.

Tony
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Sun Aug 05 2012, 15:31

Important bit of news coming up later this evening.

News and pictures. Very exciting.

Stayed tuned. I'll be starting a new thread.

Tony

So excited.
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Ninja Sun Aug 05 2012, 16:20

Oooh, exciting! I will be waiting for the updates with interest.

Linz Smile
Little Ninja
Little Ninja
3Silver
3Silver

Female Status :

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2