Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rideout 'Drop off' Marker system

+5
ellie
Snowcat
mechy69
Dirt Bike Dave
robertcains
9 posters

Go down

Rideout 'Drop off' Marker system Empty Rideout 'Drop off' Marker system

Post  robertcains Tue May 08 2012, 23:08

As we have quite a few new members regularly joining one of our organised forum weekend rides it has been suggested that its worth explaining the system we use to keep the group together on the day regardless of how many bikes we have or differences in riding abilities.

The first thing to point out is that there is always a leader (usually the ride organiser) & this person normally leads for the whole day, There is also a rider who will always stay in position at the rear of the group (Tail end Charlie) Quite often this position can be taken up by more than one rider but to identify him/her they wear a hi-vis vest & the leader will announce the nominated Tail end Charlie each time they change to another person.

The leader will always ride keeping the rider behind him within sight, At any junction, roundabout or change of direction the leader will point to a safe place for the second bike/rider to stop & 'mark' that change where he/she will wave/direct all the bikes on the correct route until Tail end Charlie arrives, The marker will then join the rear of the pack with Tail end Charlie behind him/her.

As the ride progresses each rider will by default work their way through the group as members 'drop off' to mark.

It may sound complicated but is actually very simple if followed correctly & novices will easily pick it up after marking once, The most important thing to point out is to never leave your junction that you are marking until Tail end Charlie arrives (however long that may be) or the group will be split, If something unexpected has happened meaning the group has split you will normally be informed of this (either by mobile phones or another member coming back to find you)

The only alteration we sometimes use is 'the double marker system' where the junction is marked by two bikes/riders (2nd & 3rd in the pack) This is more effective in a larger group & for obvious reasons makes marking less tedious whilst waiting around & also in the case of any incident leaves one bike to mark whilst the other is free to deal with the incident.

Hopefully I've explained it as clear as I can but please feel free to ask any questions [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The leader will also explain everything at the start of the days riding.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Rideout 'Drop off' Marker system Empty Re: Rideout 'Drop off' Marker system

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Wed May 09 2012, 01:11

Well put Nick. I'm sure there was something like this on the old msn site. Maybe oldcat tel can put me right. We did have a group riding guide for beginners. Your post is spot on so you admin guys should post it up as a sticky for all the new members who haven't ridden in a group before. Only thing I would add is when riding in a group, ride staggered format, try and stay in the mirrors of the bike in front and not directly behind, gives you a space if you end up on the brakes late. Also let's the rider in front of you see you
It's a tried and tested system which works very well if everyone in the group understands it.

Last edited by Dirt Bike Dave on Wed May 09 2012, 12:39; edited 2 times in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Wed May 09 2012, 05:22

hmmmm ,,, keeps my mouth shut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed May 09 2012, 07:19

Thanks Dave, the other thing to add is to never feel pressured into keeping up with the bike infront, If you are in the pack the marker will pick you up & if you are unsure as to which way to go the rule of thumb is to go straight on, If you are behind the leader he/she will adjust their pace to keep you in sight.

I'll wait & see if we can get any more constructive comments & edit the original post so that all the info is in one post.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 09 2012, 07:45

Do you mean this one? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed May 09 2012, 08:18

Some good tips on there Steve but doesnt actually explain the marker system we use.

I'd add if your unsure of what to do, start further back in the group and observe how others do it.

It's ok to overtake slower riders but be curteous and overtake safely.

Last edited by ellie on Wed May 09 2012, 08:27; edited 1 time in total
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 09 2012, 08:23

I thought it was all on there Ellie, I've read it somewhere on here before, in that case could someone explain the market system you use on rideouts please Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed May 09 2012, 08:28

Markets where you get your fruit and veg from Steve, does that help ? ;-)
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 09 2012, 11:14

ellie wrote:Markets where you get your fruit and veg from Steve, does that help ? ;-)

Damn you autocorrect!! I meant Meerkat marked mark ket MARKET as I'm sure you guessed!! Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Wed May 09 2012, 12:30

Sorry to point to another site and especially a Scooter one but they have some decent graphics on it that may help the 'Newbies' - about half way down the page.

Group Riding Drop off System
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed May 09 2012, 13:12

How about a few "DO NOT"s...

1. Do not feel you have to 'mark' every bend, undulation or driveway Wink
2. Do not leave your marking point until you see the back-marker.
3. Do not mark a junction where you can't be easily seen in time to make the turn. Hiding around the junction is as bad as not being there at all.

On the day it usually comes together (eventually!) and if it all goes wrong it gives ammunition for the pub later. Very Happy
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 09 2012, 13:17

Great tutorial that John, I wonder if one of our admin Boffs can build it into a post? Really informative that though Smile Thumb
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Wed May 09 2012, 13:39

I was going to download the pics and add the info from our site but was worrid about causing the site trouble by effectively nicking the other sites Pics.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 09 2012, 14:27

Yeah John I agree I'd let one of the bosses do it mate, let them take the responsibility Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed May 09 2012, 18:12

Snowcat wrote:In that case could someone explain the market system you use on rideouts please [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Isn't that what the original post in this thread was attempting to explain?
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed May 09 2012, 18:37

robertcains wrote:Isn't that what the original post in this thread was attempting to explain?
Yeah just re-read the post and that's what I get for trying to comment after only 1 coffee Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Wed May 09 2012, 19:23

would just like to say, when you mark make sure you are visible to riders coming , but that you are safe where you are !!!, and NEVER leave until either the back marker comes along or someone comes back to see whats happened , the system works very well aslong as people understand who is the back marker and not to worry about the length of time they are there (within reason)

Pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed May 09 2012, 20:32

A suggestion to all riders before setting off from a stop (Fuel, P/Fag, Lunch etc) to check who the Tail Ender is. The change over is communicated by the leader, but from experience I have found not everyone hears the announcement. A quick double check on the TEC and the bike they are on saves confusion on the road.

A couple of tips before starting the ride, so not part of the marking system -

Check you have mobile numbers of other people. Might be worth having another thread or putting in the Master list those who are able to receive calls whilst riding (otherwise your call for help/info ends up as a voicemail).
Could also list if anyone uses a PMR Radio.

If there is a map, print it out if one is provided online or take a copy if one is available on the day. If nothing else it gives peace of mind if you are marking a rural junction and have been there for a long time and think you are stranded - don't worry!

SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed May 09 2012, 23:14

...and always do your best to put a bit of 'funk' into your directions as radar and myself are a dab hand at getting funky at crossroads Thumb

Infact, radars been known to flash, moonwalk etc etc....
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu May 10 2012, 07:41

robertcains wrote:
I'll wait & see if we can get any more constructive comments & edit the original post so that all the info is in one post.

I now see that Tel has taken the bull by the horns & done this on my behalf so thanks Tel, I was waiting for replies so that all relevant info I had not covered was updated & included, We can't comment in the other thread as its locked but can you please add about having two riders 'drop off' as that is the system I will be using on BC in a couple of weeks & the system we have used on the last few forum rideouts.

More than anything we are out to enjoy ourselves peeps so please feel at ease with the drop off as its actually far more simple than it appears in writing[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu May 10 2012, 13:52

robertcains wrote: . . . . as the other thread is locked can you please add about having two riders 'drop off' as that is the system I will be using on BC in a couple of weeks & the system we have used on the last few forum rideouts.
Done mate left thumb up
robertcains wrote:More than anything we are out to enjoy ourselves peeps so please feel at ease with the drop off as its actually far more simple than it appears in writing salute

0ldcats [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] green smile
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Fri May 11 2012, 05:27

i do think that the 2 rider drop off was a big help last year , as when steve fell off in front of me it enabled nick to come back to see what was up and ellie marking the junction,, also when the mistake happened at the next junction it enabled chris to sort things out lol !!!
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down