Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RST razor boots

2 posters

Go down

RST razor boots Empty RST razor boots

Post  yamahamad Mon Nov 21 2011, 23:04

Bought new boots in march this year rst razor. Loved the look of them & the fit in the shop felt good.
First impressions riding with them were there was not much give in them & i missed a few gears in particular first to second. Took about a month of daily riding for them to feel right & give a little.
They have covered about 5000 miles this year & i was pleased with them until cleaning & treating with leather care before putting them away for winter. When cleaning them i noticed a tear in the leather of both boots where the ankle pivots to change gear & apply rear brake.
I have taken them back to colin appleyards today who were helpful as usual but they have to send them to rst to see if its normal wear & tear or a defect.
Will have to wait & see what they say but i will be unimpressed if they say it is wear & tear.

To put it into context my first pair of boots by prexport saw me through motorcycle training, 4000 miles on my gsxf, 11000 miles on my gsxr & the first 14000 miles on the cat. Now these boots are worn out but you would expect them to be after covering so many miles over quite a few years.

Will let you know how i go on.

Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

RST razor boots Empty Re: RST razor boots

Post  bobh Wed Nov 23 2011, 23:39

George White had a batch of "seconds" RST Razor boots in earlier this year for a tenner a pair. Most of them had broken zips etc. - I did wonder if they were ones that had been returned by dissatisfied customers, or even if they'd broken while poeple were trying them on in the shop. Either way, not a good sign.

Ayway, I found a pair in my size that looked OK apart from some scuffing on the toes, so thought it was worth a punt.

As you say, they are very stiff compared to my other sports boots which are Oxtars, and I had to adjust the gear pedal up a bit to get them underneath. Which then means I have to lift my foot off the rest to complete the change moto-X style - not good. They are also nowhere near as comfortable as the Oxtars to walk in. But I've probably only done 1,000 - 1,500 miles in them, so they may yet loosen up - though it's a Catch-22 thing - I don't use them 'cos they aren't comfortable, so they don't get broken in.

There's no flap over the zip, so I wouldn't use them in wet weather. And the fabric that the zip is attached to doesn't look as though it would withstand a good tug. The Oxtars have a flap with Velcro so there's some structural back-up to the zip as well.

Nice red and white colour scheme, though - shame my 'Cat is blue!

Overall, if I'd paid full price for them I'd be disapointed. As it is, well, what can you expect for a tenner?
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down