Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Clothes

+4
Snowcat
prodigy
SteveCat
alext
8 posters

Go down

Winter Clothes Empty Winter Clothes

Post  alext Wed Nov 16 2011, 11:55

Anyone got any recommendations for some winter clothes? Dont want to spend to much really but its getting a bit nippy out there and I want to try and stay warm and dry. i've looked at a couple on ebay....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

anyone tried these brands?

Cheers

alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Winter Clothes Empty Re: Winter Clothes

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 16 2011, 12:38

If your current jacket is semi decent then might be worth looking at the EDZ thermal layers. I have the base layer and have used them summer and winter with my leathers (might add the mid layer if it gets too cold). Also have a similar set from Lidl, but that doesn't beat the cold as well as the EDZ. Cheaper on eBay than the company online shop.

Sorry don't know about the jackets you are looking at.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  prodigy Wed Nov 16 2011, 15:38

No experience of the kit you've linked, however I've found the really cheap stuff is good to start with but doesnt last well, by this I mean it does not remain water proof.

I took the plunge and got everything goretex last year as it's guaranteed to keep you dry for 5 years. I picked up some good stuff at the NEC bike show last year, might be worth a look. Managed to pick up a goretex jacket with liner for the girlf for £70 last winter.
prodigy
prodigy
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 119
Hobbies : IT Manager, Online Gaming...
Humour : Yes please....
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Nov 16 2011, 15:56

Have a look at Ghostbikes in Preston and George White. Both do loads of knock down priced recognised (budget) brands. I actually got a Buffalo textile waterproof jacket with armour and liner for £35 and a pair of Oxford Bonedry textile waterproof trousers with liner and braces for £40. I've been out in some right monsoons and come home literally bone dry!! Worth a look:)
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Wed Nov 16 2011, 23:30

i brought a buffalo spear2 jacket from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cost £32 so far cant fault it and its buffalo its nice and warm
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Thu Nov 17 2011, 18:48

stevedj2000 wrote:Have a look at Ghostbikes in Preston and George White. Both do loads of knock down priced recognised (budget) brands. I actually got a Buffalo textile waterproof jacket with armour and liner for £35 and a pair of Oxford Bonedry textile waterproof trousers with liner and braces for £40. I've been out in some right monsoons and come home literally bone dry!! Worth a look:)

I've had quite a bit of kit from George White in Swindon, and it's not too far down the road from Bristol.

Their main bike showrooms have full-price kit, then there's a warehouse across the road with rails and rails of other stuff at reasonable prices, but the bargains are in the clearance place at the back of that. It's a bit of a lottery, depending on your size, but you can get lucky, e.g. I got a really good Spyke fabric jacket with full armour and detachable lining for £40.

I'm always wary of buying kit without trying it on first. For a start, the sizing varies wildly - I'm about 6ft tall and 40" chest, 35" waist, but I find I need anything from an L to XXL, depending on the make. It also depends on what you're going to wear underneath - I always like to have room for jeans under the fabric trousers in the winter, and plenty of layers on the top half as well (including something like the EDZ base layer mentioned above, though I use a cheaper version from Decathlon sold originally for skiing).

And then there's things like the fit round the neck, depending on what sort of neckwarmer you use, and the cuffs - do you wear your gloves over or under? And whether the trousers are a snug fit over your boots.

Both GoreTex, and the cheaper alternatives, need a bit of tlc, including regular washing and reproofing. My favourite winter jacket, a Weise, is getting a bit frayed now but it's still watertight after treating with Nikwax Wash-in.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Nov 17 2011, 19:13

I know Aldi do some pretty good bike stuff, not sure if they've got some coming up soon or not. might be worth a look on their site.

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Nov 25 2011, 18:31

bobh wrote:
I've had quite a bit of kit from George White in Swindon, and it's not too far down the road from Bristol.

Their main bike showrooms have full-price kit, then there's a warehouse across the road with rails and rails of other stuff at reasonable prices, but the bargains are in the clearance place at the back of that. It's a bit of a lottery, depending on your size, but you can get lucky, e.g. I got a really good Spyke fabric jacket with full armour and detachable lining for £40.

Called in there a couple of days ago and it looks as though they've closed the really cheapo place round the back. Though it's just possible they were short staffed while the bike show is on.

Will post if they open it up again.

Bob
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  alext Fri Nov 25 2011, 19:59

I forgot about George White, I bought some boots from there a few months ago nice and cheap, it'll be a shame if they're closed. I managed to drop my bike on the wet roads today so I def want something with a bit of protection. Or a car, so I can just be a dry weather rider!
alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed Nov 30 2011, 19:27

Stopped by George White's again yesterday.

The jumble sale bit round the back is definitely closed, but they seem to have moved at least some of the very cheap stock into the main outlet warehouse.

Daughter picked up a couple of open-face helmets (she has a 125 scooter) for £55 the pair.

There are some real bargains in one-piece leathers now the season's over, so if anyone's thinking of a track day next year (or just wants to be a power ranger) .........

So it's still worth checking out.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Wed Nov 30 2011, 20:07

I'll second that, as I live in Swindon I always seem to be popping in to the outlet bit to see whats there.
The stock changes weekly, 3 weeks back I managed to bag a £420 AGV helmet for £150. I only went in for a cheap pair of winter trousers which they had none of.
At the mo there is loads and loads of Jackets at good prices but very little trousers to go with them, unless as bobh says you want a full race suit.
If anyone ever wants me to check and see if they have anything particular in stock just give me a shout. It'll give me an excuse to pop down there.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  alext Thu Dec 01 2011, 01:06

bobh wrote:Stopped by George White's again yesterday.

The jumble sale bit round the back is definitely closed, but they seem to have moved at least some of the very cheap stock into the main outlet warehouse.

Daughter picked up a couple of open-face helmets (she has a 125 scooter) for £55 the pair.

There are some real bargains in one-piece leathers now the season's over, so if anyone's thinking of a track day next year (or just wants to be a power ranger) .........

So it's still worth checking out.

I could do with getting a set of one piece leathers, I was planning on doing a track day next year. What sort of price is considered a bargain, money is a bit tight this time of year!
alext
alext
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Dec 01 2011, 03:01

stevemcc wrote:
If anyone ever wants me to check and see if they have anything particular in stock just give me a shout. It'll give me an excuse to pop down there.
wouldent mind a price on oxford bone dry boots size 11 (touring boot rather than sports ) that would. Be great
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:56

Quite a few sets of one-piece leathers, several well-known makes, at £199. Can't guarantee they have all sizes, of course.

Also noticed they had some leather RST pants with a full-length zip for £50, which is a bit annoying as I bought a RST two-piece in Hein Gericke in the summer (my one-piece has shrunk. whistle ) and the pants alone were about £150. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to check out whether they have matching/compatible jackets.

Personally, if you are going to ride to a track day rather than take a van or trailer, I'd go for two piece every time. Also more useful for day-to-day riding - I prefer to use leather pants and a fabric top in the summer.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Thu Dec 01 2011, 22:36

HEHORE wrote: wouldent mind a price on oxford bone dry boots size 11 (touring boot rather than sports ) that would. Be great

I'm away this weekend but i'll pop down on Monday and have a look for you.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Fri Dec 16 2011, 13:48

Sorry I've took so long to get back to you but had alot on lately and havnt managed to get to Georges until yesterday.

Anyway the Oxford dry bone boots are £59.99 (same as their website) they had sizes 9,10 and 11 but i'm sure ive seen them cheaper in there before heres a pic: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There didnt seem to be any special deals on the boots at the mo.

The best deal I could find in there yesterday was for an oxford oximiser 600 for £19.99, the mrs uses one of these as her CBR is all alarmed up and the battery drains really quickly if the bike isnt used for a few days. It works great for her, hopefully santa will bring me one.

The only other thing I picked up was a xmas pressy for the Brother-in-law, some embossed GSXR Bar ends for a tenner. I searched the bargain bucket but there was no Thundercat ones.

They were also doing a good deal on cargo aqua tank bags for £29 which looks like a normal tank bag with a camelback hydration system strapped to the top of it.. I'm waiting for some soft paniers rather than a tank bag so I didnt indulge myself.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sat Dec 17 2011, 17:01

cheers steve, couldent find them on there site , but if seen them cheaper too , £49.99 so think ill get them , cheers anyway
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down