Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camera recommendations!

4 posters

Go down

Camera recommendations!  Empty Camera recommendations!

Post  JDM Thu Sep 15 2011, 11:50

Wee pick of peoples knowledge if possible, I'm looking to buy fairly cheap camera to record my trials and tribulations thru this daft race I've entered January, it will somehow be gaffer taped to my body or head and due to possible fire, water & general battering it will be getting don't want to spend much for fear of it not making it to finish line!!!

Anyone point me in right direction of anything previously used?

Cheers

Last edited by JDM on Thu Sep 15 2011, 15:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling :()
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Camera recommendations!  Empty Re: Camera recommendations!

Post  SteveCat Thu Sep 15 2011, 12:47

I've not tried plunging into icy water and mud etc, so none of the cameras I've used have been 'tested'

How long is this torture likely to be? Some cameras will give you about an hours recording. You worried at all what the quality is like?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Thu Sep 15 2011, 15:52

Predicted to be approx. 2 & 1/2 hours ish, not overly worried about being great quality more just half decent to give people bit of birdseye view so to speak & look back on myself.
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Sep 17 2011, 13:28

This one is cheap enough to throw away afterwards, no idea if it'll be any good. I doubt it is waterproof, has a silicone cover though. Easy enough to clip to your clothing.

This is a Chinese version of the ATC 2000 I used to have. It is waterproof, sound quality I guess would be OK for your race - utter pants on a motorbike though - Picture quality is OK I guess for what you're paying and the size of the camera. Your vids won't look like a TV / Video Camera recording though. Might need to wear a bicycle helmet to strap it on (doubt you'd want to gaffer tape it to your head Mad ). Takes AA batteries but I'm sure you're not going to be carrying 'spares' with you. If you like, I can try and dig out some 'footage' taken with the ATC2K so you can see.

Alkaline and rechargeable batteries don't work well in cold weather (2C downwards) so neither camera might give the stated battery life. You can put Lithium Batteries in the second one and there is a neoprene cover available too (intended for 'snow' skiing).
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Sep 17 2011, 14:21

I've an Olympus digital still camera that is waterproof and takes video.

Only thing is it is limited to about 32 mins per video so you'd need to keep starting it again. It was one of the pnu range 'Greek letter' looks like a cross between a letter 'p' and 'u' and was a survivor on a gadget show evil test. I've taken good motorbike bike footage with it too. I think it is a 792.

There might be other waterproof camera's that don't have this limit.

As Steve said batteries don't like the cold so you might struggle to get something that will last that time.

I've got a Hero GoPro which is superb quality HD (and lots of other settings) it can take digital stills every second I think which might allow you to create a speeded up video. I'm fairly sure you can hire them. I'm also fairly sure about a 4GB file limit but it continues until it runs out of disk space. Choosing a lower resolution gets you more footage.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck - you crazy man

Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Sat Sep 17 2011, 16:20

Cheers gents, may have go at second one you've linked there Steve, not gonna start recording til main obstacles start I think, 10 mile run no use filming, im sure could doctor some strapping & stick on shoulder!! If it works brilliant, if not so be it, just thought be a laugh to watch back, we'll see, thanks again.
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Jtpt2007 Sun Sep 18 2011, 09:18

There is one on group on today for £25 which could be worth a look
Jtpt2007
Jtpt2007
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Sep 18 2011, 15:15

Jtpt2007 wrote:There is one on group on today for £25 which could be worth a look

I just saw that one too.....No pressure but to get at that price you need to buy today.
Best doing some research on it to check it fits the job first....and you can't get it cheaper somewhere else anyway.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:00

Sadly missed these posts yesterday, too busy watching racing & my 2 teams (celtic & wigan warriors) getting whooped, bad day so followed by drowning sorrows!! But thanks again, I'll keep nosing,
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Jtpt2007 Mon Sep 19 2011, 12:41

It's still on there today
Jtpt2007
Jtpt2007
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down