Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding)

+4
mechy69
furball
greencat
Rosco
8 posters

Go down

Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding) Empty Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding)

Post  Rosco Mon Mar 14 2011, 11:03

Always sad to hear of anything like this.

LINK to BBC Report
Thoughts and prayers to those involved and their family and friends.

Does anyone know exactly what happened and the details of the charges.

As someone who regularly runs and attends group rideouts I know the risks inherent in motorbiking and take full responsibility for my actions

Other than briefing before rideouts I can only hope and trust that others on the rideouts do the same.

I wouldn't want others held responsible for my actions.

Sad, sad story for all concerned.

If you happen to know more please post up.

Ross

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding) Empty Re: Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding)

Post  greencat Mon Mar 14 2011, 12:37

I have no further information, but, since it's the start of the season, would like to endorse Ross's sentiments.

I'm sorry to hear of this fatal accident and also of this one.

It is incumbent on all road users to drive with due care and attention and in consideration of other road users. Please, if like me you haven't ridden over the winter, take it easy to start with, ride well within your comfort zone, get some slow miles under you belt and re-familiarise yourself with your bike and our 'terrible' roads. Other road users also need to get used to seeing bikes back on the roads.

Please take care everyone. Have a great season.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by greencat on Mon Mar 14 2011, 12:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling!)
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding) Empty Re: Double fatality in Yorkshire - Death by dangerous driving(riding)

Post  furball Mon Mar 14 2011, 17:35

And another link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Mon Mar 14 2011, 18:49

And the latest,,,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Mon Mar 14 2011, 19:02

I didn't actually see it happen but I was there about 30 seconds after it. I was coming back from Sherburn after riding out for a cup of tea and when riding back the rest of the group were parked on the turn off to the left about half a mile away. I thought it was odd as they were literally in the road and not on the side. Heading towards Tadcaster I came round the corner to where it goes over the A64 and there was a guy in the middle of the road waving his arms to slow down. There were a number of other bikers there too. Then for about a hundred and fifty yards there was debris, massive anounts of litlle bits of plastic and stuff. The bike, if you could call it that, was totally unrecognisable. The whole front had disappeared and the rest of it was a mangled mess. I couldn't tell it was an R1, that's how bad it was and I love R1s. A few of the people that had stopped were looking down onto the road below (A64), I didn't see the rider and the pillion on the road that I was travelling on but I was going very slow and trying to avoid all the debris. There was no police or ambulance as it had literally just happened. It must have been one hell of an impact but the worst thing is I think that there is a chance that the rider and/or pillion might have been flung over the barrier onto the main road below as thare were that many people looking over the railing. I rode back home about 20 miles shaking like a leaf and told a few people about what I had seen and then found out that both were killed the next day. Never want to see that again, it was horrible..
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Mar 15 2011, 10:01

Rosco wrote:
I wouldn't want others held responsible for my actions.

This is a sad read indeed. A guy I knew a few years ago was arrested after his best friend, with whom he had been riding, died. A very cruel double whammy, loss and incarceration.
I don't think there is a way to indemnify ourselves or a group should the unthinkable happen.

SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  OHLINS Tue Mar 15 2011, 10:58

Crying or Very sad So sad to hear these reports... it makes me feel sick, have had a few nasty experiences myself and one in particular affected me big time, I lost two friends that day. The aftermath with the police did not help, unfortunately (well, depending on the accident) others are held responsible :( It is the shoite side of biking, just got to focus on the flippin fantastic side and ride safe.

I can't remember all the ins and outs of it or whether it would work for the likes of this set up, but I remember BMF insurance cover for clubs from being involved in clubs a few years back. It's more for when there's an official club rideout/meet rather than just a shufty with yer mates... Just had a quick look and found this BMF insurance scheme. Not sure if it's any use, but thought I'd mention it all the same.

Lins
OHLINS
OHLINS
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 78
Hobbies : Web Designer/Artist/Product Designer... bikes/racing tart/RX8s
Humour : Gutter level
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Mar 16 2011, 06:24

Thats terribly sad news and It certainly makes me stop in my tracks when something like that happens and reflect.

A few years ago my brother was riding in a group near Willingham woods and his best mate came off his bike, hit a telegraph pole and my brother stayed with him as he died. The next day my brother sold his bike and has never had another.

But I've also sat with a dying 14 yr old when she fell from her horse, and it all needs to be put into perspective. Ive looked after lots of horrific horse accidents in my time, far out weighed 2 wheeled ones!

Sometimes I worry if it's worth the risks for something that's just a hobby and if my children would understand if anything happened to me while out enjoying myself but I try not to think about that!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down