Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front or Rear (oooer missus!)

+5
weasley
andyb
mechy69
Thunderkitty
JDM
9 posters

Go down

Front or Rear (oooer missus!) Empty Front or Rear (oooer missus!)

Post  JDM Fri Jun 18 2010, 18:53

Not as fun as title sounds sadly but refering to braking preference!!

May sound like real newbie question, but as i'm still fairly new just thought i'd throw it out there as hear differing opinions and often get some weird looks when mentioned.

Since passing my test and getting miles on the road i would say i have used the rear brake on few enough occassions you could count it on one hand, I think this arose as after failing mod 1 first time for locking up on emergency stop instructor said to just give it a fistful of front brake and just cover rear to make it look like using it slightly.

When riding I follow the reduce speed on straight into corner, then just take bend whilst tapping on then give it throttle when you see the exit, however, some people look at me gone out when i state this and others are in agreement and often say 'rear brake whats that then' kind of comments!!

And again today a customer i was talkin to at work also said it's all front brake and never touches the rear.

Whats everyone elses opinion on this???
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Front or Rear (oooer missus!) Empty Re: Front or Rear (oooer missus!)

Post  Thunderkitty Fri Jun 18 2010, 19:10

Helloooo
I am quite new too and I pretty much forget about the rear brake and only use the front brake. Even if I have to brake really really hard I use the front one with sensibility.
Sometimes I race around a bit here with a Focus RS (one of my mates) and even though its only the front brake I use he has to brake that hard behind me that his hazard warnings come on by itself Smile
(to be fair though, as there is no speedlimit in germany we might get a bit overexcited on the autobahns...)

In germany we have a very hard (and expensive) schedule with lessons, only one pupil per lesson and instructor, and the test is nails. at least 7 hours of theorie plus test and at least 12 special lessons plus normal riding. We learn how to brake everywhere, in rain and all sorts with all kinds of speed. My teacher would probably chin me now if he knew how i brake Smile bless him.
I feel more comforable with the front brake! Like a lot!
Thunderkitty
Thunderkitty
2Bronze
2Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 15
Hobbies : Designer
Humour : black
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18 2010, 19:19

i've had to work really hard to learn to use my front brake as much as i should - i always come to a stop on the rear unless its a quick stop but the only difference now is i do use the front too!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Fri Jun 18 2010, 20:12

when braking normally or quickly i use the front all the time, i do dab the rear sometimes when going into corners , its a comfort blanket ocd thing i have from the old old days when bikes felt like they had a hinge in the middle etc, bloody annoying to anyone following , so have been trying to stop doing it

was always shown by some very good riders when i was a wee strapping lad , to use the front to do all the stopping as the back goes light and can let go , get skippy or just plain come round on you if using it a bit hard

that my 2 penny worth anyway, and if its good enough for the people i know , who lets be honest can ride rings around me then its sure as hell not going to do me any harm

pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18 2010, 22:09

I did 22,000 miles on my first set of front pads on my Fireblade. I'm up to 34,000 miles now and still on the original rear pads.

I think the only time I use the rear brake is if I have gone into a bend too hot and need to scrub off a little speed.

It has been commented by people who have followed me that my brake lights don't work. They do, I just don't use them very often, I tend to use engine braking a lot.

It really is down to what you feel comfortable using but it should be about 90% front brake 10% rear, imo.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18 2010, 23:02

I mainly use my front , but like some others I do use the back for a bit of stability if I've taken a bend to quickly . Also I use both at the same time if I have to make an "emergency" stop , obviously applying more to the front than the back. But in general use and coming to a normal stop I tend to use the front. Arrow
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Fri Jun 18 2010, 23:04

Appreciate all the replies, was beginning to think i was makin some kind of major error but again as with so many things on the bike, it's whatever works for you, thanks again, great great
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Sat Jun 19 2010, 07:49

Like most people, I'm a mainly front brake kinda guy and just use the back if I really have too great

That said though, I think the engine braking is pretty good on the cat and saves on the wear and tear Very Happy

Now it's way to early to be up on Saturday with a hangover, time for a coffee Smile
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Jun 19 2010, 08:29

I use the front 99% of the time, but the rear has its uses. It can be useful in really slow manoeuvring. I also found myself using it a fair amount on the recent German tour, on the hairpins - trail a little rear brake through the corner so that when you open the taps mid-corner you can blend off of the brake to feed the power in gradually with no jerk or sudden input from the rear wheel.

Also useful when waiting at traffic lights on a hill!

You'll find that racers differ in their opinions - some use only the front but others use the rear as well, particularly to control wheelies.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jun 20 2010, 21:04

BRAKES ? oh yer them things that slow the bike down mmm
im with tc on this some times use going into corners a little hot use to scrub off speed & had to get out of using the back to brake ( old tiger club rider )
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun Jun 20 2010, 21:49

Me, I mainly use the fronts but do use the rear if I'm coasting to lights / junction / roundabout rather than having to stop. I figure the price of two pads will be cheaper than four! rofl2
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 24 2010, 22:09

Interesting replies there. I've been thinking about my braking habits since I got back in the saddle last year and even more so today when I got caught in a quick downpour and forgot to adjust my technique to suit (a little unsettling, bike and nerves-wise).
I do use the rear, quite often. I never use it on it's own, except for slow control and to trim a little speed on a bend (VERY rare, I don't ride fast enough to overcook it into a corner much), but I definitely apply some rear if I'm braking from any significant speed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 24 2010, 23:10

Glad I'm not the only rear person here, use both but I estimate 60/40 front/rear. I'm sure if measured I use a bit more at the back. Maybe a hangover from bikes of yesteryear and I'm not converted to only or nearly only front.

I bad weather less on the front in favour of the rear, but then I'm not riding the same as in good weather anyway
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Jun 25 2010, 06:53

I too was taught 70/30 and just cover it in an emergency stop to make it look like your using it, but thats mainly to pass your test.

I was also taught to use it under 10 miles per hour, slow stopping scenario.

I tend to use it at lights/junctions to give my hand a rest LOL

Ellie nurse
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25 2010, 07:53

petercriss wrote:
I do use the rear, quite often. I never use it on it's own, except for slow control and to trim a little speed on a bend (VERY rare, I don't ride fast enough to overcook it into a corner much), but I definitely apply some rear if I'm braking from any significant speed.

With you on that one Wink i still use the rear probably more than i should and occasionally still my foot still goes towards it on a bend even if i don't do anything with it - i think its a comfort blanket lol i always come to a slow stop on it rightly or wrongly and then straight away transfer everything to the front brake if there's anything behind me and i think they might rearend me Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down