Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

33bhp restriction

+7
kevin10529
jmr146
jackpee
ellie
robertcains
greencat
gould
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

33bhp restriction Empty 33bhp restriction

Post  gould Tue Sep 08 2009, 22:20

hi all, this is my first post on here, ive just picked my thundercat up tonight and im extremely chuffed. as im only 19 though its got to be restricted to 33bhp, so i was just wondering if anyone had the sizes for the restriction washers? thanks all
gould
gould

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Back to top Go down

33bhp restriction Empty Re: 33bhp restriction

Post  greencat Wed Sep 09 2009, 08:25

Hi Gould,

Welcome to the site. You've come to the right place for all things Thundercat - plus a whole lot more! Laughing

I never had my 'cat restricted, but I know Ellie's 'cat is throttled! BTW it doesn't seem to slow her down great
I'm sure some others will be able to give you more advice, but probably the best thing is to get it down to your local Yamaha dealer or bike shop asap - or are you attempting this yourself? Shocked

Let us know how you get on. Ride safely.

Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Sep 09 2009, 13:43

Welcome in gould,
I think you will probably find that the kits themselves are relatively cheap to purchase, However most shops seem to sting you for the fitting because they know that all important piece of paper that they provide afterwards is priceless Rolling Eyes

Having regularly ridden my own unrestricted 'cat & also Ellies restricted 'cat on a regular basis I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how the kit does its job, Certainly you lose low down torque which is so useful for overtaking & she tops out at around 105/110mph but its still plenty powerful enough if ridden vigorously & Ellie can take some hanging onto if she is in the groove (Oooh errrr missus) Fuel economy does tend to suffer though due to using the gearbox alot more.

Keep us posted on what you decide bud great
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Sep 09 2009, 16:35

Is my cat restricted? I hadn't noticed..........

:gocat:

p.s. Cost me £250 for the restriction kit, fitting and a piece of paper to say it was! Only 11 months to go........and counting.......im not at all impatient......... taz
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  gould Wed Sep 09 2009, 17:43

cheers for the welcomes!

The restriction kits cost £172.99 from FI international, and then labour to get it fitted unfortunatly. This is my 4th bike i've owned during my restriction, the first 2 cost £250 to restrict properly. Then on the third one i found out the washer sizes, got my own made up, fitted them myself and put it on a dyno which cost about £50 - a hell of a lot cheaper! I was hoping that I could do the same thing this time...?
gould
gould

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Sep 09 2009, 17:49

Maybe ebay? What happens to all the 'used' restriction kits that people take off after their two years is up?? scratch

Ellie xxx girlpower
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  jackpee Sat Oct 03 2009, 16:06

Im now after some restrictors for my thundercat, I begrudge paying £200+ to get it restricted at garage, Rather just fit them myself then get it dyno'd, seem very hard to come across though second hand restrictors for a thundercat, theres loads second hand ones available for the bandit and bikes like that.

If anyone has any, or can point me in right direction it would be a life saver
Many thanks
Jack
jackpee
jackpee
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  jmr146 Mon Nov 09 2009, 19:25

I have a set of restrictors for my cat. I never managed to get them on my bike but got a restriction certificate!! clappy clappy They are still in their original packet and have never been opened. It cost me £199 for the certificate essentially. Not sure how much to sell for if your interested.
jmr146
jmr146

Male Status :

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Tue Nov 10 2009, 01:22

i think you dont even need the restriction certificate. it was in MCN or summit this week. Its just a rip of by the garage. Police or insurance dont even ever need to see it.

Well thats what i thought i read.

But it does need to be 33bhp but if anything goes down/crash ect they test it no matter what.

Possibly.....i think..... :great:
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Number of posts : 50
Hobbies : Football Coach
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

33bhp restriction Empty 33 bhp or not

Post  loatmead Mon Apr 05 2010, 13:51

Hi all,
can anyone tell me if you have to send the 33bhp cert away to the insurance company or not
loatmead
loatmead
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Apr 05 2010, 15:00

Nope, you don't have to send it off, the insurance costs the same whether its restricted or not.

Ive kept the certificate in case Im ever stopped by the boys in blue.

Ellie shit happens
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  DaVy Mon Apr 05 2010, 16:34

loatmead wrote:Hi all,
can anyone tell me if you have to send the 33bhp cert away to the insurance company or not

As said by Kevin already, you do not need any paperwork !! It is not required by law, and almost all insurance companys dont ask for any bits of paper, they cant technically refuse your policy cause you have not produced this, this has been proven.

If i were you, make up some washers for a few quid and fit them yourself and save £150+
DaVy
DaVy
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 86
Hobbies : Graphic Designer & Race Marshal
Registration date : 2010-02-07

http://www.ancile.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Apr 05 2010, 19:13

Well my restrictions off in August - you can have my kit then! LOL green smile
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

33bhp restriction Empty 33bhp restriction

Post  loatmead Mon Apr 05 2010, 20:47

I might be missing the point but what you r saying then is that no proof is needed. If this is the case what is stopping someone just riding the bike unrestricted.What lenghtsbwill plod go to to check.
loatmead
loatmead
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05 2010, 21:11

kevin10529 wrote:i think you dont even need the restriction certificate. it was in MCN or summit this week. Its just a rip of by the garage. Police or insurance dont even ever need to see it.

But it does need to be 33bhp but if anything goes down/crash ect they test it no matter what.

Possibly.....i think..... great

You are absolutely right about the "Cerificate" it's another way for the dealer to make money and isn't required by law - and the insurance companies don't ask for it , I'll try and find that MCN article as it was very useful.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  loatmead Mon Apr 05 2010, 21:16

espaceman3 wrote:
kevin10529 wrote:i think you dont even need the restriction certificate. it was in MCN or summit this week. Its just a rip of by the garage. Police or insurance dont even ever need to see it.

Possibly.....i think..... great

You are absolutely right about the "Cerificate" it's another way for the dealer to make money and isn't required by law - and the insurance companies don't ask for it , I'll try and find that MCN article as it was very useful.
So i can fit the washers myself, end of story and all is legal.
loatmead
loatmead
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05 2010, 21:19

I'm not sure , I'll try and find the article and you can decide for yourself - sorry but I opted to go straight for the "Big Bike" License.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05 2010, 21:27

Ok here is the 33BHP Article , it makes a very interesting read .
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/nov1309-The-33bhp-certificate-rip-off/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05 2010, 21:47

see now me and neil both read it different to you i think john - the article is amongst other things about having the bike restricted 'in your name' and having to pay to get a different certiicate - also they say about the police not needing to see it - it actually doesn't say that - what it says, quite correctly, is that Metpol officer has basically said if you produce a restriction certificate and we don't believe your bike is restricted - then we won't take the word of a bit of paper - we'll have your bike and get it tested - which isn't quite the same thing. Like it says - anyone could produce a bit of paper that says that - doesn't mean that it is. As for the insurance - same thing in a way - and whilst they may not reject a claim - if, under the same premis, your bike should be restricted - it's involved in an rtc and the plod then get their hands on it, test it and find out that it wasn't restricted - you can bet your bottom dollar that it blooming well would make a difference then and the insurance company wouldn't be saying oh we didn't need a certificate = they'll turn round and get it back off you by invalidating your claim sneaky little gits that they are which would then add the extra 'driving otherwise than in accordance' to the list. Mind you = poses interesting questions - i'll find out what our lots take on it is tomorrow.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  loatmead Mon Apr 05 2010, 21:50

espaceman3 wrote:Ok here is the 33BHP Article , it makes a very interesting read .
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/nov1309-The-33bhp-certificate-rip-off/
So a DIY kit it is then. Happy days
Thanks to all for all the info
loatmead
loatmead
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Mon Apr 05 2010, 22:01

Ezzy's Mum! wrote: they'll turn round and get it back off you by invalidating your claim sneaky little gits that they are which would then add the extra 'driving otherwise than in accordance' to the list. Mind you = poses interesting questions -

In this instance insurance company would still be liable to pay any third parties involved but would not cover you or your bike, i had previous similiar 'ish case while back.

And for record if insurance company tries to claim losses back off you, they're not entitled to so can tell them where to go!!

Last edited by JDM on Mon Apr 05 2010, 22:13; edited 2 times in total
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 05 2010, 22:05

Well it does also say :The Motorcycle Industry Association said there was no legal requirement for 33bhp riders to have the certificate at all. A spokesman said: “If the bike itself complies with the 33bhp limit then they are riding within the terms of their licence.”

In respect of the Insurers , they make the rules up as they go along , and as you rightly say - any excuse to not pay up. But if you only have a license that allows you to ride a 33bhp and you ride a bike that is more powerful bike then that is where the law is being broken - I think .Also that would automatically invalidate your insurance ? - again I'm just guessing . It's seems that they haven't really thought out a proper system that evryone understands .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Apr 11 2010, 09:18

Basically.......have it restricted properly, get your certificate, 2 years passes really quickly, it gives you 2 years to build your confidence, and then you can sleep at night!!!!!!

Its restricted for a reason!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11 2010, 09:42

espaceman3 wrote: But if you only have a license that allows you to ride a 33bhp and you ride a bike that is more powerful bike then that is where the law is being broken - I think .Also that would automatically invalidate your insurance ? - again I'm just guessing ..

Yeah true John - i'm a bit old fashioned and its a real thorn in my side with people who have restrictions who then go on about how they've ridden (or driven a car with no licence) someone elses (or theirs) unrestricted on the road. All well and good til you come a cropper and then all too often its some innocent person that suffers with their vehicle or whatever being at the receiving end and the little oik responsible has invalidated their insurance and can't pay up (plus if its not their car/bike lets not forget the person that allows them to use it is also in the kak).

As Ellie says - it's restricted for a reason - people should remember that .....

here endeth the lesson mrs 'i'm just up and grouchy' is now off for the 3rd cup of the morning pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11 2010, 09:48

I'm in agreement , if you've opted for the 33bhp license then you should take all legal measures -insurance etc to be legit .

And Ellie , for me that 2years would seem the longest two years in my life ! You must have the patience of a saint ! Very Happy (or in your case Florence Nightingale).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next