Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info

5 posters

Go down

Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info Empty Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info

Post  Twiglet Wed Sep 14 2016, 08:53

Hello,
  I've owned my Thundercat (X reg) for almost 10 months now but yesterday whilst leaving work had a moment with the jerky throttle at low speed resulting in me then carrying too much speed into a bend to leave the car park and I did the wrong thing grabbing a handful of front brake!....

Needless to say as I was corning and at low'ish speed the brakes grabbed, front wheel lost grip and down the bike and I went with a fully fuelled cat landing on me and my vey unhappy right leg..... I've now damaged my fairing and a few other bits which I'm more annoyed about than anything else angry

Can anyone help me identify my paint colour and where in the UK I may be able to get some more from so I can do the work myself to touch up damage.....my bike is an X Reg cat, YZF600R in what looks like a burgundy / Dark Red colour, grey graphics - I think it may be Candy Apple Red?

Colour can be seen in my avatar pic - that's my bike, doesn't quite look the same now though fuming

If you've never tried to lift a fully fuelled cat off the ground with a dead leg I can tell you it's damn hard work!, think it weights over 200KG wet - fortunately after some huffing and puffing in bike gear and 30 degree heat I remembered to lift it from the front bars which worked, phew....

Any help greatly received - for a 16yr old bike it was looking good until yesterday! - just minor panel damage in the grand scheme of things though....thanks all
Twiglet
Twiglet

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-09-14

Back to top Go down

Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info Empty Re: Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 14 2016, 09:11

Hi, welcome to the site, sorry to hear of your incident. Hopefully you won't need to pick up a bike again, but the way I've been shown is side stand down and out of gear (unless that's the side its fallen onto), squat, back to the bike one hand on the handle bars and the other the grab rail or something you can grab at the rear which won't come off under the weight, using your legs lift up the bike. I tried this in a training session not that long after I had torn my clavicle whatever's (ACJ).

The name of the paint colour is Vivid Red Cocktail 7, probably the best place to get the paint kit - yip it a three layered paint, more like ink than paint - is RS Bike Paint click me
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info Empty Re: Stacked the Thundercat - need paint colour info

Post  Twiglet Wed Sep 14 2016, 09:25

Thanks very much! - yeah hope I don't have to face picking it up off the ground again, fortunately it was relatively low speed so minor damage to me and bike.... thanks for the top tip on picking it up also and the paint colour / link - a great help.

cheers
Twiglet
Twiglet

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Sep 14 2016, 12:49

Sorry to hear about the off. Fingers crossed none of us ever need the picking up the bike advice but it it good to know.

Looks like Steve has covered the paint query too.

Good luck with the repairs.
Cheers
Rosco

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Wed Sep 14 2016, 12:56

I know it's a bit late now, but you might also want to think about fitting some R&G crash protectors - they may well have saved your fairing if they had been fitted.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Wed Sep 14 2016, 18:55

+1 on the paint and crash bungs. You'll find touching up will stand out a bit, it really needs to be sanded back and cut in to get a match but it will never match completely. Not sure how much the paint is but you should be able to pick up a decent panel for less than £50.

What other parts do you need as me and I'm sure others on here have spares.

Oh yes and welcome,
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 467
Hobbies : Riding, Fixing, Riding Fixing
Humour : Dry, witty, Known as the child.
Registration date : 2014-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet Wed Sep 14 2016, 21:09

Thanks for the offer of spares but it just scuffs across multiple panels so I've ordered the paint and will touch them up.

My right leg was very brave (wrong place wrong time for it) and took one for the team which stopped a lot of damage to the bike, bruising not come out yet so guessing that's deep as it still feels like those dead legs your mates used to give you at school, no pain walking on it though.
Ironically I had thought about crash bungs but not got around to them yet, Jacket also now got a hole or three in it which won't help it keep the water out when the weather turns!

Never mind eh... nobody lost an eye...

Cheers for the help all, especially the paint code and place to get it from and remember, when the sh!t gets real don't grab a handful of front brake! Don\'t Panic
Twiglet
Twiglet

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 14 2016, 21:55

Get yourself some Arnica if you do see the slightest bruising, works a treat.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down