Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break

+5
Digger1981
past-it
yamahamad
Rosco
TheSkiDave
9 posters

Go down

Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break Empty Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break

Post  TheSkiDave Sat Apr 25 2015, 14:28

She doesn't look bad for a P reg, all original apart from the BikeVis running lights I've installed on the indicators, and the crash bungs which were on when I bought it. Disc lock damage isn't mine either!

Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break Image10

Last edited by TheSkiDave on Sat Apr 25 2015, 14:45; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Link faff)
TheSkiDave
TheSkiDave
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-03-26

Back to top Go down

Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break Empty Re: Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break

Post  Rosco Sat Apr 25 2015, 16:12

Disc locks....breaking mudguards since 1981.

Looking good though.

What are your thoughts on the BikeVis Lights?

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break Empty Re: Making the most of a sunny Friday lunch break

Post  yamahamad Sat Apr 25 2015, 16:30

Nice tidy looking bike. I have led lights on mine. Have you had them on a while or just recent? I have had them 4 years or more & had to replace the left one once & right one twice.

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSkiDave Sat Apr 25 2015, 17:05

I've only recently fitted them, so I'll let you know how they get on. I also fitted the add-on which makes the rear ones brighten with your brake light. They certainly make you a little bit more visible which can't be a bad thing.

I've also added relays to the headlight to brighten it up a bit, but haven't had the chance for a night time ride to spot the difference.

Next job on the list is removing and stripping the ignition barrel; it's being a bit temperamental, and a new key hasn't sorted it out. I think I will save that until next weekend!

TheSkiDave
TheSkiDave
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Sat Apr 25 2015, 17:27

Nice bike, best of luck with the lock, not nice to strip but the problem could be slight damage to the steering lock lugs on the bottom, just clean up with a file and rebuild with loads of engine oil(been there, done that!!!!!!, twice in two days first with the wife's Fazer then the Cat)
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Digger1981 Mon Apr 27 2015, 09:26

In the best colours too
Digger1981
Digger1981
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Apr 27 2015, 09:31

TheSkiDave wrote:Next job on the list is removing and stripping the ignition barrel; it's being a bit temperamental

You having problems turning the key? Mine used to do that from time to time, a squirt of WD40 or similar sorted it for me till it got a wash (which wasn't too often Wink )
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSkiDave Mon Apr 27 2015, 10:57

SteveCat wrote:
TheSkiDave wrote:Next job on the list is removing and stripping the ignition barrel; it's being a bit temperamental

You having problems turning the key?  Mine used to do that from time to time, a squirt of WD40 or similar sorted it for me till it got a wash (which wasn't too often Wink )

Yes, I've tried that but it doesn't seem to be working. It's quite odd. With the key in, I have intermittent troubles getting it to turn right to the ON position. It will turn left through the steering lock range with no issues, but then be awkward going into P, similar to getting it into the ON position. Wiggling and twistingt the key to and fro normally sorts it. And then again, sometimes it works straight away!

I'm going to have another play later, and if I don't get anywhere I will strip it over the weekend. This seems to be a good guide - http://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=714 - it is for a Diversion, but the ignition barrels should be similar.
TheSkiDave
TheSkiDave
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  The White One Sat Jul 04 2015, 09:42

Did you get the lock sorted? I had issue with mine and then found out you have to push the key slightly forward and turn to the on position, same with the parking light and push down and turn to engage steering lock. Ive never had to push forward before on the key to turn the ignition on.
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 467
Hobbies : Riding, Fixing, Riding Fixing
Humour : Dry, witty, Known as the child.
Registration date : 2014-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Jul 04 2015, 10:08

Chain wax is probably better than WD40.
It'll get right in there and leave nice coat of grease once the solvent evaporates. Smile

(I use it on my garage padlocks as well)
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSkiDave Mon Jul 06 2015, 23:28

The White One wrote:Did you get the lock sorted? I had issue with mine and then found out you have to push the key slightly forward and turn to the on position, same with the parking light and push down and turn to engage steering lock. Ive never had to push forward before on the key to turn the ignition on.

Yes - it was exactly that. Did a complete strip-down, clean and reassemble, still the same. Once you get the knack, the it's easy to turn the key. I think it might be something to do with the way the tumbler springs near the front of the lock barrel get compressed over time with extra weight from key rings and the like. In hindsight, I could have found some replacement springs form somewhere, but hey-ho, it was a good exercise in getting to know how the bike worked.
TheSkiDave
TheSkiDave
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Tue Jul 07 2015, 01:03

Have you tried graphite spray? It's what they use on seized locks.
I had issues with mine being hard to turn, 1 spray of that before bed and in the morning it's was like new. Never had any bother since.
It was about £5 for hardware store and lasts forever.
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down