Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not been on for a while, been a little busy...

+7
Radar
FatCat
MrNutt
Rosco
yamahamad
Eddie990
Snowcat
11 posters

Go down

Not been on for a while, been a little busy... Empty Not been on for a while, been a little busy...

Post  Snowcat Tue Nov 18 2014, 22:13

As some of you know I bought a restoration project a while ago and but haven't been able to do much due to a lack of space, anyway Mrs Snowcat was good enough to sign off on a new workshop project but made the mistake of not outlining any perimeters regarding size etc and as I am unable to function correctly without direction got on with doing my own thing.

Below is the story so far...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Firstly had to move the old shed (but not take it down yet) and prepare the ground and make shuttering for the 5 & 1/2 tonne of concrete to be poured. I was utilising the existing shed base as a starting point but it had to be trimmed to fit.... It was 8" thick and a pig of a job.

Once the concrete was poured, tamped & set work commenced on the framework. All 4" x 2" tanalised timber.

It wasn't until the roof went on that I started to physically realise the dimensions of the monster I was creating...

Wall cladding going on, went for Olive Green plastisol coated to try and maintain a gardeny type feel to it, no way back now!!

And then the 12mm marine grade plywood roof cladding before my favourite bit...

Anthracite coloured plastisol coated steel tile effect sheet, it looks the business, really pleased with the effect, plus it's all maintenance free.

I've also hand made the door and am just putting the finishing touches to it with trimming and flashing before starting on the inside. It's going to be completely insulated, powered, alarmed and even a laminate floor is going in to save my poorly old man knees on a cold concrete floor. In total the internal size is 4mtr x 3mtr and it is almost 4mtr high so just within planning regs (phew)!!

Really proud of what I've accomplished considering I've done absolutely all of it on my own with no actual previous experience apart from a basic knowledge of angles (hypotenuses was not my friend hence the roof being half a metre higher than designed) the only assistance being from my very patient wife fetching, carrying and holding things plus keeping me fed and hydrated and tolerating my strops when things went wrong, whilst I have been splashing out on toys and treats for the workshop including a bench grinder and pillar drill my wife has surprised me again... She is splashing out on a joint birthday and Christmas pressie... A hydraulic motorcycle ramp!! Ta daa!!

Let the restoration of the RGV commence in earnest in the new year.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Not been on for a while, been a little busy... Empty Re: Not been on for a while, been a little busy...

Post  Eddie990 Wed Nov 19 2014, 08:13

That look fantastic Steve, fancy coming and helping me build my shed next......

4 x 3 is a good size but I'll bet you soon fill it, I've got double garages and I still don't have enough space! ;-)
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Not been on for a while, been a little busy... Empty Re: Not been on for a while, been a little busy...

Post  yamahamad Wed Nov 19 2014, 20:21

Excellent work, looks great.
Looking forward to the Rgv restoration thread.

Paul
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Nov 20 2014, 11:36

Looking good Steve.

I think this will this help you for any future roof calculations.....

Three Indian women are sitting around in their tipi, just shooting the breeze. The first woman points to the hide she's sitting on and says, "See this hide? My son killed this bear with his own two hands. It's worth quite a bit." The second woman nods, and points to the hide she's sitting on. "This is a bear hide, too, and MY son killed it with his own hands as well. I imagine it's worth at least as much as yours."
Finally, the third, and oldest, woman speaks up. "See this hide?" she cackles. "This is a hippopatamus hide! I killed this hippo with MY own two hands, and it's worth easily what both those bear hides are worth together."

And of course, the moral of the story is:
The squaw on the hippopatamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

I think I'd better hide now.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Nov 20 2014, 16:24

cracking project and results there for you steve!

enjoy using it now its built!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Fri Nov 21 2014, 13:18

Nice work, I'm not jealous...  Thumb
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Nov 21 2014, 23:13

Top Man cave! Looking forward to the RD/RGV 2 stroke outing next summer!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Nov 22 2014, 01:04

Radar wrote:Top Man cave! Looking forward to the RD/RGV 2 stroke outing next summer!
Going to be epic Anthony I am so looking forward to getting amongst the spanners, spent way to much time p*$$ing about with concrete, wood and heights.... Time to get back to what I know deal
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Nov 22 2014, 20:50

I dug my way back to the RD today, it is the back corner of the garage, but didn't make any progress!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Dec 10 2014, 21:13

Just a little update, outside virtually finished

Door is on, (obviously), the electrics in and it is basically watertight, also kind wifey has bought me the bike lift/ramp as a joint chrissy and birthday pressie, that's in there and awaiting putting together on Christmas Day. With a bit of luck the bikes etc will be moving in between chrissy and new year and the resto will begin in January.

Hope to get her road ready by BC but TOL is the goal for 2 stroke fun and frolics with Radar on the RD.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Dec 10 2014, 22:24

Might need to dig the Exup out again if we are going retro!
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Wed Dec 10 2014, 23:37

Sounds good chaps!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Jan 17 2015, 20:17

Eddie990 wrote:That look fantastic Steve, fancy coming and helping me build my shed next......

4 x 3 is a good size but I'll bet you soon fill it, I've got double garages and I still don't have enough space! ;-)
When we starting on the shed Chris??
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Sun Jan 18 2015, 15:17

Soon :-)

Landscapers are coming in March and amongst other things they'll be laying the base for the new shed. The aim is to get all lawnmowers, bikes, rakes, chairs etc out of the garage and start kitting it out as a proper workshop.

Hows it going with yours? Much pottering going on in there yet?
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Jan 19 2015, 07:29

Not a lot of anything going on in there, everything is in but it became a rush job when we found out the old shed was letting in moisture badly so we had to get everything out quickly. Bikes are now both buried until I can get in there and properly sort it.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  OhJay Mon Jan 19 2015, 09:30

Looking good. Need to see pics of the inside when it's fit for bike restoration shed.

You want to watch yourself offering assistance like that, there's an excellent spot for a bike garage at the new house but needs a roof putting over it, if you're going to be offering help to all and sundry and saying you need more practice with angles and roofing we might just find you some Wink
OhJay
OhJay
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Digger1981 Thu Mar 05 2015, 20:17

Great thread, mancave looks great and love that you are restoring an RGV! Its always nice when you do something out of the norm and it works out.

This was my effort to reroof my asbestos-wood-clad-garage-cum-shed on a very hot day in July last year. I feel your pain.

PS I have no idea why all my photos turn through 90degrees each time I post one?!
Digger1981
Digger1981
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Mar 05 2015, 20:45

If you are up loading from a mobile device, I seem to remember someone mentioning 'auto-rotate' getting in the way. But don't ask me. . . it's all Chinese as far as I'm concerned pmsl
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down