Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ace is going... but not without a fight!

+11
thunderstu600
robertcains
terry lees
Snowcat
BlueZed
fr3tless
Radar
kwakkat
Dirt Bike Dave
HEHORE
mrfrance
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ace is going... but not without a fight! - Page 2 Empty Ace is going... but not without a fight!

Post  mrfrance Mon Mar 24 2014, 13:44

First topic message reminder :

That's right, I'm moving on from the Ace, it's a great bike but it's just impossible to ride sensibly! My commute is on the same lovely twisties that I do my hard riding on so the bike just teases me when I try to be 'economical', as a result I'm spending more on fuel and rear tyres than I can justify so it's time to go for something more 'sensible'.

....however! I had someone coming to pick the Ace up yesterday, offering me full asking price, good right?!

Well... I noticed my bite on the clutch had mysteriously lowered when I took it in for its mot on Saturday (which it passed Very Happy ). When I got the bike out ready (buyer was travelling 80 miles which gave me time to clean it) I though I'd better check the clutch and maybe bleed it (hydraulic). As luck would have it (not) the clutch had gone!! ...I called the buyer to let them know what was happening, just incase I couldn't rectify the problem, they said they will come anyway and had faith in me to sort it as it has a new clutch.

So I tried to remove the reservoir and top up/bleed the fluid, but one of the screws has round out (was very soft) and I didn't have a drill :( ...however on inspection of the window, there seemed to be enough. My thoughts then led me to believe it was something else as it was strange that the bite had only dopped over the last couple of days and there are no leaks.

Acting on this I took the clutch apart and managed to lose the push rod ball bearing!! managed to get a replacement (not exact fit) after running from shop to shop. Whilst in a rush I overtightened the screws on one of the springs and it snapped Mad

So it looks like the Ace doesn't want to go just yet lol. Going to be doing some drilling on Wednesday, fingers crossed I'll have it back up and running ready for the next buyer.

Moral of the story is... leave it to the pro's
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Ace is going... but not without a fight! - Page 2 Empty Re: Ace is going... but not without a fight!

Post  robertcains Wed Mar 26 2014, 18:35

You could always take a step one stage back & get an Exup? Would tick all the boxes except the commute I guess? Plenty of good examples going for little money, especially the later RU models

robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2160
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Ace is going... but not without a fight! - Page 2 Empty Re: Ace is going... but not without a fight!

Post  mrfrance Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:14

I have noticed a few FZR's kicking around, I did consider it!

...however it seems my prayers have been answered. I was watching a VFR750 on ebay and intended to buy if my bike sold, but unfortunately I missed out. Alleycat being the amazing friend that he is, only went and bought it for me for when my bike sells!!!!  Crying or Very sad Very Happy

He just told me tonight after coming down and fixing the ace and confessed to buying the VFR. What a top man! Couldn't ask for a better friend  Cool Very Happy

Last edited by mrfrance on Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:17; edited 1 time in total
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:16

Nice one! 750 or 800?
fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:18

Not sure what happened there, some text seem to go missing once I posted, edited now.
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fr3tless Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:21

Makes a bit more sense now! Haha!

fr3tless
fr3tless
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:23

terry lees wrote:If it helps, I ran Pans for about 12 years and did about 100,000 miles on them, absolutely bullet proof, and could run rings round a lot of sports bike riders as well.

Terry. You could be using a 50cc moped and STILL run rings around sports bike riders lol
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:39

wow thats very good of him paul!

alls well that ends well it seems
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Wed Mar 26 2014, 21:44

That's great news Paul, VFR are a nice bike too, good on Alex for helping you out too!
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Thu Mar 27 2014, 18:58

Wow mate, Alex is a cool dude! Brilliant surprise that is. Good luck with the new bike.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Mar 27 2014, 19:32

mrfrance wrote:I have noticed a few FZR's kicking around, I did consider it!

...however it seems my prayers have been answered. I was watching a VFR750 on ebay and intended to buy if my bike sold, but unfortunately I missed out. Alleycat being the amazing friend that he is, only went and bought it for me for when my bike sells!!!!  Crying or Very sad Very Happy

He just told me tonight after coming down and fixing the ace and confessed to buying the VFR. What a top man! Couldn't ask for a better friend  Cool Very Happy
Phew, lucky you were just keeping an eye on it and not bidding . . . . Just imagine if you had gotten into a bid P***ing war  affraid . . . Doesn't bear thinking about.

Congrats on the VFR  green smile
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Mar 27 2014, 21:33

Top work Alex, ridden a VFR750 a few years back...cracking bike
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Thu Mar 27 2014, 21:34

Thanks guys, still need to get the Ace sold first lol.... he might change his mind and decide to keep it for himself :S
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Thu Mar 27 2014, 22:53

Is he still on the sv paul?
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Fri Mar 28 2014, 11:06

No he now has the VFR lol... he sold the SV a little while ago and bought a tt600, which he has now sold and is looking for another bike  Very Happy he is without a doubt the most impulsive person I have ever met!!  Shocked ...and if you know me, then that is saying something haha!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum