Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars.

+5
Wooster
Bikerchris
mechy69
SteveCat
furball
9 posters

Go down

Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars. Empty Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars.

Post  furball Wed Jul 24 2013, 17:03

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Davie left thumb up 
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars. Empty Re: Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars.

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 24 2013, 17:20

Signed
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars. Empty Re: Re: Bring Motorcycle road tax in line with that of cars.

Post  mechy69 Wed Jul 24 2013, 17:36

Champers Signed
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black

Back to top Go down

Post  Bikerchris Wed Jul 24 2013, 17:44

signed
Bikerchris
Bikerchris
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2013-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Jul 24 2013, 17:56

I think it's more complicated than that tbh and owners of older bikes could end up paying an absolute fortune if the tax was based on emissions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
..is from a US EPA report in 2003 that highlights the fact that bikes were among the most polluting vehicles on the road at the time.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

iirc the YZF600R was discontinued in 2005 in order to meet the Euro 2 standards and top enders like BMW are already moving into the Euro 4 standard and Euro 5 in 2015.
So that modern classic you have could end up costing you a fair percentage of it's total worth every year if the tax ends up being based on average emissions.

-edit- Those are GWB era figures, so might not be worth the paper their written on. Other articles I've seen put bikes on a par with cars.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  WGL2013 Thu Jul 25 2013, 14:27

From the petition: "So a Toyota Aygo or Citreon C1, a tax class B car, pays just £20 a year, producing 139gm of Co2...

....but a Honda VFR making just 16.5g of CO2, pays £78 a year, nearly 4 times as much."

I suspect the figure for the VFR is incorrect, wouldn't that mean it gave something like 500mpg? I may be wrong Smile Smile Smile Smile
WGL2013
WGL2013
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jul 25 2013, 15:11

Found this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

..apparently the VFR800 and FJR1300 figures are 158g/Km and 152g/Km respectively under Euro3 standards (measured in 2009)
Meaning both bikes would attract a duty of £175 a year, as opposed to £78 (at this years rates).

pity there isn't a way for people to unsign.. Laughing

Also mentioned in the article is how difficult it is to find the figures from the manufacturers (which I've found myself).
Newer bikes from the likes of BMW seem to take a bit of pride in the fact that they're reducing them, so they do publish, but other companies are keeping pretty schtum.
From a quick hunt around looking at the figures for the larger Ducati's, they appear to be in the region of 200g/Km, so that'd be about £260 - £280 a year in tax. Shocked
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Thu Jul 25 2013, 16:34

I'm not convinced this is a good step for us
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jul 25 2013, 17:34

Start a petition not to bring them into line....go on, you know it makes sense. Very Happy
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jul 25 2013, 23:22

stretchie_ wrote:I'm not convinced this is a good step for us

Totally agree, I'm not sure this is such a good idea!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jul 26 2013, 00:23

Hmm interesting stuff.
Might be better the devil you know.
Not signed it just in case there is a chance it'll cost me more.
I hate spending money.

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down