Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First go on a V4

+8
TOMCAT88
Rampers
mrfrance
GazzyG
Dai-San
stretchie_
robertcains
alleycat
12 posters

Go down

First go on a V4 Empty First go on a V4

Post  alleycat Thu May 16 2013, 19:13

Took my dads VFR800 (pre vtec) out today for a spin and sweet Jesus!, I was violently introduced to the concept of engine braking ... so used to just being able to roll off the throttle without going over the handlebars ... that coupled with so much low down grunt it takes a completely different approach to ride it.

Quite fun though Twisted Evil
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

First go on a V4 Empty Re: First go on a V4

Post  robertcains Thu May 16 2013, 20:43

I am led to believe there is a strong argument either way to pre/post V-Tec, my mate had a pre & loved it, very smooth with lots of torque & I personally think its a great looking bike from that era, The 'cat was very capable up against it though naughty
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Thu May 16 2013, 21:00

Yeah I think there is a large swing towards the feeling that vtec ruined it ... the pre vtec 800 had the extra 50cc and fuel injection over the earlier 750 carb version so its smoother but apparently the vtec version was just a little snatchy on the switch ... felt like it had loads of torque but it only revs to just over 11k and just didn't have the top end pull that my Cat does ... needless to say hes never left me behind naughty
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri May 17 2013, 09:59

Never ridden a VFR 800 but ridden an SV650 and a 2011 Vmax at the NEC the other year, WOW

Now THAT is a bike that could part me from my hard(ly) earned cash if I had some
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Dai-San Fri May 17 2013, 15:19

I've had 3 Vmax's, a standard full power import, a streetfightered one and a hardtail Chop one. All were amazing in a straight line and felt like an artic had rearended you when you opened them up, but they are horrible on the bendy bits, they are the bike worlds equivalent of American muscle cars. The best handling one was the hardtail because you had no rear end weave and knew the limits.
Dai-San
Dai-San
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 338
Hobbies : IT
Humour : I work in IT, am I allowed Humour?
Registration date : 2011-04-10

http://www.dai-san.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GazzyG Fri May 17 2013, 20:51

Interesting to read about the differences in various engines.

I had a go on my mate's Aprilia Falco, 1000 v-twin, a few months back. That was a beast of an engine, with arm-lengthening torque. But it felt very 'agricultual' if you catch my drift.

Funny that you should post this today actually, because today I had my first go in an Alfa V6 and posted my thoughts on that on the Alfa forum lol!
GazzyG
GazzyG
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Fri May 17 2013, 21:43

GazzyG - I was looking at buying an Aprilia Falco, still thinking about one for my next bike, read a lot of good reviews about them although I certainly don't want an agricultural vehicle lol... I think I shall have to test ride one!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Fri May 17 2013, 21:54

You want agricultural you should have a bang on an 80s Honda CG125 ... constantly felt like I should be pulling a plough green smile
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  GazzyG Fri May 17 2013, 22:52

MrFrance! Don't get me wrong, was a very good bike, lol. Sounded amazing.

Very powerful.

However, lots of engine braking and loads of vibration.

Main reason I wouldn't have one is the riding position; a lot more sporty and cramped than the 'Cat.
GazzyG
GazzyG
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sat May 18 2013, 07:21

Ah I see, good to know GazzyG, I am 6' and find the Thunderace slightly uncomfortable compared to the cat as it's a slightly more sporty position so not sure how I'd cope with the falco.... I'm just interested in the power!! Cool never ridden a v-twin before so would be an interesting experience.
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Sun May 19 2013, 18:33

Well I had ago on an 848 yesterday and my god talk about power!!! But it's not for me really I'm thinking about a 2nd bike and I'm looking at a rsv
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 243
Hobbies : In a dead end job, riding ,rugby and being family man
Humour : Last in the que
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sun May 19 2013, 18:52

I have heard the RSV's are very uncomfortable if you're using them for any more than a short blast but they are very powerful agile. Good luck with whatever you choose Smile
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TOMCAT88 Sun May 19 2013, 19:54

I had a sv1000s(2004) The bike is beautiful,sound awesome(2 scorpion race can)very strong bike,after i ride a T-cat feel like a scooter pmsl but the sv uncomfortable and drinkin too much petrol(1 full tank 80miles,london)so never again.I Tried ducati 1098 i didnt go fast with the bike(not mine) but i can say useless,uncomfortable my opinion that bike only for track not road use.V-twin is a very good engine and very powerfull from low rpm.
TOMCAT88
TOMCAT88
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Sun May 19 2013, 20:44

V-Twins take a bit of getting used to...Took me a while to get used to the 999 but once you do!! It's extremely addictive.....The Panigale is a bit of a beast to ride... I rarely use the brakes on the twisties cos the engine braking which means ppl following on inline 4's can get caught out as they don't see my brake light!!
Everyone should either own or have a good go on a V-twin at least once in their biking career!! I don't see me going back to an inline 4 for my main ride!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Sun May 19 2013, 21:22

might be the only one but id love a vtwin. specifically a big loud custom that sounds like someones open the door to hell when you turn it over
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sun May 19 2013, 23:33

I loved my RSV. It was an amazing overtaking machine - acceleration on tap, and braking to match. We had two years and 8,000 unforgettable miles together.

I really think the quality of that bike, in terms of finish, was better than anything that comes out of Japan.

The only thing was I struggled to bend my knees tight enough to get my feet on the pegs when setting off. But once locked into position it was fine - took it to the 'Ring a few years ago and bombing down the continental motorways it was great. I tried lowering the pegs, but ended up with scorched soles on my boots.

The clincher was when it dumped all its oil out for no obvious reason - an oil pipe had come loose. Thankfully it happened in the dealer's car park a day before the warranty ran out. But I decided it was trying to tell me something, so it had to go.

I still see it regularly at H's Diner near Oxford. The new owner has fitted a few more blingy bits, which is all it deserves, really. Nice to see that it's loved and cherished (sentimental old so-and-so that I am).
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Sun May 19 2013, 23:36

I had a go on a mates RSV and I found it fookin ace. If I wasn't Ducati hooked I'd be riding one of those. Very easy bike to ride fast. Well it felt like that. Awesome machine!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon May 20 2013, 06:35

I've ridden an RSV a few times and loved it, I'd love one but the 'Aprilia' bit puts me off!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum