Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!!

+12
Dirt Bike Dave
Snowcat
terry lees
mrfrance
ellie
Cheshirecat
Eddie990
Rosco
robertcains
sir digby
furball
Radar
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!! Empty Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!!

Post  Radar Mon Jun 04 2012, 10:02

Part 2: Some people will do anything for a ride in a helicopter!!

Due to the large number of bikes on this run we adopted the twin marker system, where two riders drop off to mark junctions that had worked so well on the Wee Mac recently. The first section from BC took straight into the action on the A488 and the group quickly settled into a rhythm as each rider settled into a pace that suited them and little groups of three or four well matched riders were forming.
All was going swimmingly well, the sun was out the tarmac sticky and the roads inviting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Early on and the marker system is working well as the group streams through on of the local towns

Then perhaps only 30 minutes into the ride the start of a somewhat eventful day kicked in. I had been towards the back of the line as we picked over of section of the A488 towards Ponybont I saw that sight that you hate to see on any ride-out...a group of familiar bikes huddled together at the side of the road and somebody running towards you flagging you to stop...This generally only means one thing – rider down. I felt sick to my stomach, as at this point you don’t how serious it might be. I hurriedly pulled up to discover that not one bike was down, but TWO!! Oh shit...
Smig, on his first group ride out had dropped his Thundercat on a right hander just after a cattle grid. He had gone off exploring the Welsh countryside and according to the following Dai-san had made a pretty good job of holding it together until a huge grass filled ditch got involved, flipping him off the bike and into the air. Somewhat distracted by all this, Robcat’s R1 riding mate Tony had pulled up, got onto the gravel at the side of the road and his front end went from under him as he braked to a halt.

Smigs Thundercat after exploring Wales a little TOO closely!

Smig, or as we now call him Muddycat...

Tony repairs the R1 using bits supplied from Rosco's mobile parts store!

The bend that caused all the hassle

Thankfully the only things bruised were egos and pride and the damage to both bikes was minor. Tough things Yamahas! Smig’s cat now sported a nice mud patina on the one side and was an indicator short of a picnic, while Tony’s R1 was missing a brake lever. Rosco came to the rescue here and produced from his top box, which is a hybrid of Doctor Who’s Tardis and Mary Poppins handbag, a selection of replacement levers! A few minutes tinkering at the side of the road and both bikes were back up and running once more. We took a little time to let jangled nerves settle and Smig and Tony get their heads together, before gingerly setting off once more. We skipped stopping at Crossgates cafe, a famous bikers’ halt I often frequent in search of a light salad and made straight for the show piece road of the ride for me: The A483 that snakes, bobs and weaves its way across stunning Welsh countryside to Newtown. It is a fantastic strip of tarmac, and despite being the only rider with a pillion I thoroughly enjoyed myself where possible. My wife Mandy is a superb pillion and I can ride in a way pretty similar to the way I can solo...that is too say, bob and weaving in tune with the road....the poor old Thundercat really could do with a new rear shock in truth. I seem to remember having a bit of fun with Chris who was pushing his KTM along very nicely. He eventually swept majestically around the outside of me as we speared across the scenery at reasonable rate of knots while I tucked in behind Weasley and kept him company on the run into the first tea-halt.

Being honest, despite riding this area fairly often I am not actually sure where we stopped for a cuppa, but I have been there before, and it was a friendly roadside cafe that sported a rather large lay-by come car-park. Green-cat caused a stir by overshooting the lay-by and then being harangued by an irrate pensioner in a Rover 416 after executing a somewhat scruffy U turn/ stop manoeuvre to join us. I noted it for possible Numpty point nomination, but much better was to follow! About half the group helped Mr. France get his brake lights working and we all had a refreshing and nerve settling cuppa. It was an inviting spot to line up the impressive row of 12 Thundercats, so with Smig’s mud splattered example proudly at the head of the line we caused uproar as formed up as a squadron:

The roll call:
1. Smig
2. Cheshirecat
3. Rosco
4. Radar
5. Weasley
6. MrNutt
7. Stevecat
8. Mr.France
9. Dai-san
10. YZFJohn
11. Snowcat
12. Annabana

The 12 Thundercats

Enjoying a cuppa, is that YZF John doing a Larry Grayson impression??

Luckily Dai-san had a lot of help fixing the brake lights on Mr.France's cat

Eddie990s bike does its' best to block the view

So after the excitement early on, things seemed to of settled down as we formed up, once again causing chaos and hacking some caravanners off, and pulled out the lay by. Initially all went well, and we turned onto the B4518, a tight and twisty road that took us over some spectacular Welsh hillside. I marked the junction with Dai-san mate, the GSXR600 mounted Dave. Most of the line swept past and then we waited, and waited, and waited a bit longer. Eventually I sent Dave back to check what was going on. About 10 minutes passed before he and backmarker Stevecat rolled up. Tony on the R1 was still having brake trouble and was awaiting recovery. So we pressed on to catch up with the others, initially enjoying ourselves as we worked around the twists and turns. Then coming the other way YZFJohn appeared. At first I thought he had just come back to see what had kept us. But no, we pulled up opposite each other and I could see by the anxious look on his face that all was not well.

‘There’s been a bad one, the lad on the SV is off and hit a post, and we are waiting for the ambulance’

Once again that sickening feeling hit me and as we rolled up to the scene it did not look great. Poor Mark was lying next to his bike, conscious (thank God) and being comforted by Anna. The main group had stopped just up ahead. The Ambulance soon arrived, but they called out the Air Ambulance. It seemed best to clear the area now so Stevecat and I got the main group to head for Machynlleth and just wait for us. Nick and Ellie had got back by now, so we hung on along with Stevecat and Anna who continued to stay with Mark and comfort him, she did a brilliant job, keeping him calm. The paramedics took charge and looked after Mark until the Air Ambulance swept in to whisk him off, while Nick had the tough call to make to his wife.

The mangled SV

Mark being whisked off to the chopper

Away he goes!

Lee helps load the SV into the council van, thanks to him and the loads from Powys CC for their help!

At this point I must thank the lads from Powys council who just happened to be in the area. They were superb...they closed the road and once Mark was away they helped us get his bike up and even took away in their van. In other moment that restores your faith in human nature one of the people stuck in the traffic turned out to be a fellow biker and offered to look after the bike until it could be picked up. So big thanks to Lee Morgan, you are indeed a gentleman!

So once the helicopter had departed and the bike loaded into the council van, the remaining the five bikes set off on our way across the very windy last few miles down into Machynlleth to join the group. At this point Nick, Ellie and I were all for calling it off and heading back to BC. Just so much had gone wrong. But then Tony arrived back on the R1, he had got it going again and news filtered through that Mark was basically ok. People had travelled far and wide to be here so the vote was made to carry on. We had lost some time obviously so a truncated but fun ride followed. By now the Augusta and 675 Daytona turned for home, but we still had an impressive group as we headed towards Tywyn and its’ famous ice cream factory.

A much needed rest halt and a chance to get our heads straight after a very stressful hour or two

As we approached the coast, the sun glistening off the crystal blue sea, and Wales once again did its’ surprisingly good impression of the Med! My spirits lifted and we all enjoyed some superb ice creams and a chance to chill.
We all filled up with fuel again, and from here Snowcat made his way home, I think he had enjoyed his first group gathering to the full, despite all the fun and games and he was quietly kicking himself that he couldn’t stay for the second night.

Impressive line up at the Ice Cream Factory

The ice-cream was GOOOOOOD!!!

Initially we picked up the B4405, then the A487 before turning onto the A470 and passing through, I kid you not, Commins Cock (say it out loud...), then we had to pull again. Chris had noticed that his rear tyre was let us say a little past its’ best. I am no expert, but I don’t the canvas should be showing! Then we got the news that Rosco had got lost. Classically on pulling out of the last stop he saw some bikes in the distance, assumed it was us and gave chase...it wasn’t....he had joined the wrong ride out! The penny dropped when he caught them up! Numpty point....easily won! We tried to guide back to where we were and Greencat and I had the bright idea of getting the location from a nearby by post box. I proudly read out what I thought was the name of the village only to be informed what I had announced was ‘Monday-Friday collections’ in Welsh....doh! Numpty point runners up slot secured!!

The group waiting for Rosco, who had had got bored of us and decided to join another ride out for a while!

Greencat does the Ducati Dance while waiting for Rosco

Rosco did eventually come back into the fold and we finished off the last section of an all too eventful day without incident. It was with considerable relief that I pulled up outside our digs and parked up the Thundercat. Phew. But that was not the last off it...oh no. Poor old Anna, now known as Mother Teresa of Powys for her sterling work comforting Mark earlier in the day, thought it would be a good way to finish off the day with a little more excitement. The poor girl clipped Ellies and my bikes as she parked up, sending them both to ground as both Nick and I looked on helpless to intervene, Jesus, what a day. My cat was not too bad, but Ellies 650 had borne the brunt of it sadly. On her birthday too...and knocked over by her old bike!!
Well we all really needed a pint and a dam good evening now! By now we had discovered that Mark had not broken anything and had been discharged from hospital...what a relief!

Well luckily the Three Tunns duly came up trumps, with a superb meal and the beer flowing as once more the evening flew by in a banter filled haze. Ellie celebrated her 32nd birthday in good spirits, all the site admin, mods and organisers were in one place for once (apart from Bea), Rosco was awarded his Numpty point and T shirt prize, Nicks Mom and sons joined us too as we all enjoyed an excellent evening. We wandered back to The Boars Head where the fun continued. Rosco got out his Dice game, he showed us how to play and we promptly beat him at another of his own games just as we had at the Wee Mac!

A well earned meal and pint for the group at The Three Tunns

Ellie celebrates her 24th birthday

Is this really a Triumph?? I think not!!

Ellies is at ease with large sums of cash...

MrNutt makes his steadily to The Boars Head. Drunk? Him? Nooooo....

Rosco shows us the dice game, before loosing!

Another packed weekend was rounded off the next morning over breakfast as we gathered to say our farewells and head home. It was great to meet everybody old friends and new and this run really brought home that what superb group of people we have on this forum.
The adventure was not quite over for Chris (Eddie990) and me as his back tyre was now so knackered it was showing the steel banding through the rubber. No way could it make Yorkshire on that! He had some tyres at home, so he followed me the 40 miles to Kidderminster, where he left the KTM and took my Thundercat to Yorkshire and back to collect his new tyres. A mate of mine has proper fitting gear, so he popped them onto his loose rims that evening and Chris set off for Yorkshire at 10pmon his fit again KTM! 600+ miles in the day!

The Great Leader, Oldcat ready for the off on his CBF

Eddie990 shows off his high speed steel tyre!

Whisking the wheels out of the KTM

Off to re-introduce himself to the joys of a Thundercat on a 400 mile jaunt!

Back after a 400 mile round trip loaded up with fresh tyres

Back on the KTM, only another 200 miles to do...

It is fair to say that was the most eventful BC to date! Here is to BC5 and I hope it is a bit dull in comparison with this year!

Thank you mentions:

Nick and Ellie for doing most of the organising, I did help a bit, but it was mainly on the going to the pub side of things!
Stevecat for superb back marking on day when it was really needed
Get well soon to Mark (SV) and hope you are back on the road soon
To Mandy for her usual superb pillion work
To Anna for looking after Mark
To the paramedics, air ambulance crew, the lads from Powys council and Lee Morgan who were all superb in a crisis.
To Klitcat for making Nicks beard look attractive
To everybody on their first big rideout and to everybody who made such a memorable run.

More pics here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Radar on Tue Jun 05 2012, 10:38; edited 8 times in total
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!! Empty Re: Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!!

Post  furball Mon Jun 04 2012, 10:16

Thanks for Another cracking write up Tony Very Happy

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!! Empty Re: Bishops Castle 4 - NOW WITH PICCIES!!

Post  sir digby Mon Jun 04 2012, 10:24

Great write up as always tony
Glad mark is alright
Rosco cant wait to meet u and have u got a pair of silencers for a 1983 superdream in your top box
And as i thought the only humans left on this planet are us bikers

cheers

mark
sir digby
sir digby
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 361
Hobbies : roofer/titting about
Humour : if iam put on life support machine turn it off and on again see if that works
Registration date : 2011-04-19

http://yorkhomeimprovements.com

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Jun 04 2012, 14:59

Nice one Tony, great writeup, Both Ellie & Mark are awaiting the outcome of the insurance companies & Mark is recovering well so not such as a bad rideout as it could have been Cool
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Jun 04 2012, 16:56

I will add pics to parts 1 and 2 this evening if I get a chance

@RC, it could of been a whole hill worse, thank God everybody is essentially ok
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Jun 04 2012, 21:57

Brill write up as usual Tony.

Enjoyed it nearly as much as doing it all the first time round.

I'll add the superdream bits to the tardis shopping list Mark.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Mon Jun 04 2012, 22:22

Nice write up Tony, I always really enjoy reading these and re-living the weekend!

Cheers,

Chris

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Mon Jun 04 2012, 23:06

Great write up Tony and a pleasure to meet you and Mandy, Infact it was a pleasure to meet all of you and thanks for making me feel like part of the crowd, I must say though, that Klitkat and his Mrs were an odd couple, but I did like the matching clothes and hair... Can't wait for the next ride out.

Take care all
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Jun 05 2012, 08:58

Fantastic rideout pity about the crap ending. Lessons learnt for some people, especially correct parking lol.

Can I just add thanks to Rosco & DBD for stopping and offering their assistance (and cable ties/duct tape) to my bike & it's knackered foot peg.

I was so chuffed to see the turnout and yet gain the effort people put in to attending our rideout.

Can't wait till the next one.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Tue Jun 05 2012, 10:32

Smashing write up as usual Tony! Great pics too. Thumb Very Happy
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Tue Jun 05 2012, 10:57

Nice pics, but not one of Rosco in his usual pose.....Asleep!
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Tue Jun 05 2012, 16:11

Great write up there and some nice pics to go with, enjoyed every minute and reading it took me right back to last weekend, few incidents but on the whole what a fantastic weekend. As you said I was kicking myself all the way home because I had to leave and couldn't spend the Second night.

I will defo be staying the distance next year and will certainly be out with you lot again soon.

Thanks again Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Tue Jun 05 2012, 17:57

terry lees wrote:Nice pics, but not one of Rosco in his usual pose.....Asleep!

This run was so eventful even Rosco couldn't fall asleep!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Tue Jun 05 2012, 18:06

Cheers Tony. Cracking write up as usual. The weekend was over far too quickly. Seemed to go by like a blurr.

Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Wed Jun 06 2012, 21:12

As always, hats off to our beloved author.

Didn't know so much can happen in one day.

Yeah, no pics of Ross asleep, as I'm sure Chris (Eddie) would of taken almost full advantage if he had nodded off.

Rob
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 07 2012, 12:39

Excellent write up Tony but a Numpty Point nomination for getting Anna's name wrong green smile
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 07 2012, 12:45

Just a few more pics....

Nick in the pic too..

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Thu Jun 07 2012, 12:58

ellie wrote:Excellent write up Tony but a Numpty Point nomination for getting Anna's name wrong green smile

seconded!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 07 2012, 13:01

Awarded green smile
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Thu Jun 07 2012, 23:03

Blimey I am only 5 behind you now Ellie!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 07 2012, 23:06

Radar wrote:Blimey I am only 5 behind you now Ellie!

You're getting there Tony, I kindly kept it to just the one mistake green smile
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Jun 08 2012, 23:49

My posts are always riddled with typos, I am still editing stuff I posted years ago!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sat Jun 09 2012, 06:22

Bless you Tony, you do a sterling job! X
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TT_mark Fri Oct 11 2013, 18:43

Short notice but on October 20th 2013 I am gonna ride the jinxed BC04 course that I didnt quite get to finish. If anyones interested its only a day ride. Nothing specially organised. Give me a shout.
TT_mark
TT_mark
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 219
Hobbies : Joiner
Humour : loves to ride and fly in helicopters...
Registration date : 2013-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Fri Oct 11 2013, 18:48

have fun mate, hope the weather is good for you.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next